Fiberglass Cost - Are these quotes typical?

Karenyn

May 26, 2019
Charleston, SC
I am new to the pool world and have gotten two quotes from Barrier Reef and Alaglas pools. I am waiting on a 3rd quote for a Hawaiian pool.

Barrier Reef
Coral Sea 31' lounger (15'2" x 31) with color Pentair pump 4ft concrete with cavalier edging
Pentair Intellichlor salt system
Pentail Touch control system
All shipping, excavation and site prep, well-point, pea gravel, electrical and plumping
550' Addition concrete
Total - 44,490

Alaglass
Grand Baron (16' x 35')
All of the above aprox 45500.

My next question is if I waited until the winter should I expect to save money? I am reading that I should but Alaglas told me no. I could like just get the Baron at Alaglas for about 38000 but think I would like the larger pool.

Thoughts?

If you are getting three separate quotes from reputable pool builders that have been in the business for a while (like more than 10 years), then the cost is what it is. The price of pool build is regional at best, a fiberglass pool in your area might cost less than one here in the desert. It’s just the way the business is. You could look at other pool types, vinyl and concrete, to see how prices vary. A vinyl liner pool may be cheaper.

As for seasonal differences, that’s going to affect availability and schedule not really pricing. Pool builders and their subcontractors do less business in the winter but that just means you might get a pool built faster, the costs are not really going to change much.

Reactions: PoolguyinCT
Prices are all over the board and what might be a great deal for you could be a terrible deal for another area. There is a HUGE resurgence in pool popularity which has driven prices way up.

That pool is in the ballpark in size and in volume with the gunite one I am having built in the Tucson, Arizona area. It is optioned out slightly differently but overall has the same base cost of stuff. Those quotes are about 4K more, but things like excavation could be more expensive there. I would say that those are likely reasonable quotes considering. I think the days of 25k in ground pools are long gone. If anything else concrete is a lot more expensive than it was a few years ago...

You might want to look into the other two pool types. It would be interesting to see the difference in price.

I am pricing for an IG pool. For fiberglass, my local well liked dealer has a sale right now on a 15.6 x 32 for $37K installed. No bells and whistles of course. For a vinyl IG, a 16x32 STARTED at $55K. I will be looking further into a fiberglass. The FB dealer has staff on hand and never sub contracts out, which I believe is what is keeping their costs down.

Just so you get an idea, I am not that far from you and my project is about $57,000 in Maryland for a 35-16' ft gunite with 7x7 spa and natural gas heater and that is with me doing the deck and paying the travertine coping. The spa for my pool added about $15k, so I am guessing that without a Spa, the price would be about $43k.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.