Fiberglass 16x40 DIY install (PICS)

I rented a 10k JCB telehandler from Sunbelt. It was somewhere around $900 for the day. It was right on the edge of being heavy enough, because the narrow side access to the back yard required us to have to pick the pool up from the end, instead of the side, putting the load pretty far out (25' or so). We also had to back it down the side yard instead to keep it from tipping forward. I don't know for sure that it would have, but according to its specifications, we were pushing it. It was a HEAVY piece of equipment and did a number on the yard as we brought the pool back.

The pool was delivered right-side-up with crossbars securely strapped in place from the manufacturer. This may be partially because the Thursday Pools facility is only about an hour from our house. They stayed in place until the pool was almost entirely filled and backfilled.
Thank you.

Did you put in a main drain? Do you think your one skimmer was enough, or would you recommend two?
No main drain. The deepest fittings in the pool are 16” from the top, so if I ever had a leak or broken fitting, I won’t have to drain the pool or dig very deep to get to them.

For me, one skimmer works just fine. I can get right around 90 gpm through it, my pool location is relatively leaf-free, and I keep the cover closed when we’re not swimming anyways.

Reactions: Boogfj40
Thanks for the Kudos @PlaysARobin

There have been moments where I feel like I'm in over my head but overall, I'm happy with how it's going, and I can see light at the end of the tunnel. The fun part is the savings - in case anyone is interested in the numbers (i'm an open book), the whole project was quoted at $82k and $86k by two different pool builders. All in, it's looking like I'll complete it for right around $58k myself. I will say, however, that I do understand why they charge what they charge, and I don't think it's unfair - I just have more time than money and like to do things myself when I can. When you consider the knowledge a good pool builder has, the liability that they assume, and the warranty coverage they (hopefully) provide, it is a VERY valuable service that they provide.

But I do think that doing it myself makes the water feel even more refreshing, too ;).
Hi - I know I'm digging up an old thread but we are planning a DIY of a fiberglass pool, with the help of a certified dealer/installer. I'm so impressed by your work! Long story short but we have an opportunity to get the shell at cost, and all equipment at dealer costs, with the labor, excavation all for free, and any crusher run/gravel (probably botching the correct term) plus stone/decking at no charge. It's a no brainer for us to do it ourselves, but I'm trying to gauge what just the equipment will cost us. Do you have a ballpark for budgeting on what you spent? We're being told freight will be about $7K, but our size will also be a 16x40. Thanks for any help/guidance.

Hi - I know I'm digging up an old thread but we are planning a DIY of a fiberglass pool, with the help of a certified dealer/installer. I'm so impressed by your work! Long story short but we have an opportunity to get the shell at cost, and all equipment at dealer costs, with the labor, excavation all for free, and any crusher run/gravel (probably botching the correct term) plus stone/decking at no charge. It's a no brainer for us to do it ourselves, but I'm trying to gauge what just the equipment will cost us. Do you have a ballpark for budgeting on what you spent? We're being told freight will be about $7K, but our size will also be a 16x40. Thanks for any help/guidance.

Hey KP, sorry for the late response - i'm just now seeing this. In case it's not too late, I spent around $7500 on equipment, plumbing, and electrical. Here's a breakdown:

EQUIPMENT
DESCRIPTIONMODELQTYPRICETOTAL
HeaterHAYWARD H250FDN1$1,695.00$1,695.00
PumpHayward TriStar1$1,165.00$1,165.00
FilterHAYWARD C20301$534.49$534.49
SWGCircupool RJ301$869.00$869.00
LightsSR SMITH KELO KIT1$507.52$507.52
Plumbing2" PVC AND FITTINGS1$800.00$800.00
general electrical1$1,000.00$1,000.00
CMP 3-way ValveCMP CPVC 3-way1$35.00$35.00
misc1$500.00$500.00
Return Fittingswaterway 400-8309$4.90$44.10
Check Valve / Flow MeterFlowVis1$116.95$116.95
double Union Ball ValvesHYWRD TRU-UNION4$23.00$92.00
EQUIPMENT TOTAL:$7,359.06

Reactions: nameswel
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.