FIBER FILTER BALLS

Jun 1, 2017
AJO, AZ
Has anyone here used the fiber filter balls to replace the sand in your filter? I started using them last year and am pleased, I rinsed them this year and ran them trough a wash cycle in the washing machine and an extra rinse or 2 and put them in the new pool at start up. What do y'all think.

I think sand works fine. In multiple years of pool ownership with a sand filter I only opened it once to take a look. It looked like a beautiful Bahamian beach, no cleaning necessary.

The average pool owner wants lower maintenance, not something they will have to remember to clean each year. Alternative media for sand filters are a solution looking for a problem, IMHO.

I cleaned them because I had the filter apart while setting up a new pool so I decided to clean them before putting them into the filter, they say they filter better and will outlast sand. I was just curious if any one else had used them.

If they outlast sand, how will we ever know since sand will last thousands and thousands of years and never needs changing?

That comes across as a bit snarky (sorry) but it is really quite true.. To my knowledge virtually ALL the big commercial aquariums use sand as a filter media.......that's a pretty good testimonial.

I cleaned them because I had the filter apart while setting up a new pool so I decided to clean them before putting them into the filter, they say they filter better and will outlast sand. I was just curious if any one else had used them.

The only time sand ever has to be replaced is when we as pool owners do something stupid to the sand. The use of floculants and clarifiers can "gum up" the sand as well as a conversion from Baqua products to chlorine will ruin the sand.

Sand has been around since the beginning of time. Contrary to pool industry "experts" it doesn't wear out and unless, as I said it's damaged by pool store magic potions will work as long as the filter will. We find that many times pool store employees primary goal is to sell stuff, not necessarily get your pool in perfect condition. As to whether that is because of improper training, lack of knowledge or just to sell stuff I will leave up to you. This is where alternative filter media and all the potions on the pool store shelf come from.

All pool owners go thru a phase where they want to tinker or find something better. That's fine and if you have the money & time, do what you enjoy. But, TFP exists to bring pool ownership down to the most "trouble free" basic maintenance possible.

To quote Dave here at TFP:
Throughout TFP, you will read that we suggest certain levels that good science and practical experience has taught us fall within safe ranges.

Further reading of posts here will draw you to the inescapable conclusion that these guidelines work.......in thousands and thousands of pools worldwide.

You may or may not choose to use these methods and guidelines or you may use some and not others. Our goal is to teach you what has been proven time and time again and then let you use that information to your benefit.

TFP didn't create the methods we use, but we have fine tuned them to make them as "Trouble Free" as possible.

Reactions: frogabog
I see your points, there was no pool store salesmen involved, I got them from amazon, maybe I'm wrong in my thoughts, probably am. I do have major back issues and the lighter weight is a definite blessing for me.I have a 10 lb limit & that limits lots of stuff. Someone mentioned flocculant and I was curious, I have used it a couple of times, is there something that would help drop Crud out while not gooing things up, I also understand that it may be helpful to do regular maintenance.

Flocculant is another thing TFP doesn't like very well. You are not making a link between it and filtering, are you?

Never seems to be a real use for flocculant and it can often make things worse.

If you have "crud" in your pool, you almost surely need to SLAM to clear it up. The SLAM Process and other really valuable information can be found in Pool School. Please read "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" as your starting off point

A few years ago I had a goldfish pond. I built a biological filter that used a type of filter balls. They were used to increase the area of biological filtration, which is different from the mechanical filtration we want for a pool. We use sanitation (chlorine) to control algae and other micro organisms. and a filter to control sedimentatious material, including dead algae and other material. I don't think any type of filter balls would be better than sand.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have used it in the past, in my last pool, I haven't used it for a couple of years now. It was run through the filter. Won't be using it any more, A lot of chemicals I stocked up on are now gone and was stuff "recommended" by a pool store. I think a lot of those guys are paid to push the stuff, I'm pretty much all salt, CYA, and chlorine for shocking.

I’ve used the balls in several pools. Light weight, takes up minimal space in my truck....eureka...I found what could help me. The only true benefit? The filters moveable once the waters drained. That’s it! Lol
They break laterals and need to be removed every fall and washed in a washer. I’ve since replaced all those filters with sand.
Run away fast from them!

I decided to check the balls this morning, a grey slimy c coated them, found bits of fiber on the strainer of the 6 way valve, dumped the balls and refilled with filter sand and now running again. The comments here got me to thinking and questioning, do they really work as well or outlast? IDK, but IMO the fibers fount in the strainers are the result of the balls breaking down, to me, it only makes sense after thinking about it that the material will degrade and break down.

Now, lets talk about your mention of "shocking"..... If you keep your pool clean and pristine with the proper FC/CYA level, and your SWG works properly, you'll never need to do routine "shocking" again. Pool Stores often tell customers to do this weekly or so and it just isn't necessary.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Donldson
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.