Few Quick Questions

Neener

Aug 23, 2019
Lafayette, Louisiana
I have a couple of questions I figured I'd compile into one post. Just bought a house with an old pool. We redid the plaster, tile, and coping and now I'm getting on to the operational side of things.
1. We removed the slide but now have a 1.5' pipe sticking up through the concrete with a valve on it which used to be the control for the slide. Would it be possible to hide this with a pot and turn it into a fountain?
Capture.JPG
2. I noticed my multi valve was leaking out the discharge this weekend. I have the new gasket on it's way, but when I removed the cover this piece of plastic was in the middle hole. Any clue what it could be from? I didn't notice any damage in the valve or on the cap/handle.
Plastic from Valve.jpg

3. I have one return that isn't functioning. In the pool shed I have one line returning to the pool, but it looks like another return line was cut out from the piping. My guess is this line was used with a booster pump for a cleaner. Do you think that's a good guess? How could I troubleshoot this to see if I could get it functioning again?

Thanks for any assistance!

Attachments

• Plastic from Valve.jpg
    Plastic from Valve.jpg
    388.4 KB · Views: 2
#1 - Seems like a cool idea but it looks to be fairly far away from the pool.

#2 - I have founds parts from valves in the multiport. I would not worry about it.

#3 - Do you have any ports in the pool that don't do anything? Is the port capped or just cut?

Remember that the pipe's water going to the slide re-entered the pool via the slide. A fountain on that spot would still have to have a way for the water to return to the pool or you'd basically be draining your pool on to the deck.

Maddie :flower:

For the fountain, it looks like there are some deck jets I'm hoping will work. The pentair ones say they'll shoot 8' but I'm guessing I won't get all of that from this pipe. It's about 3-4 foot away, so I hope I can get that out of it. The pool is in direct sun pretty much always so I'm hoping it will also cool it a bit.

3. I have one port that does nothing in the pool. Knowing a bit of the company that maintained this pool before me, I'm guessing they halfa**'d this when something went wrong with the booster and just cut that line out of the loop.

[QUOTE="Neener, post: 1733141, member: 220074"
3. I have one port that does nothing in the pool. Knowing a bit of the company that maintained this pool before me, I'm guessing they halfa**'d this when something went wrong with the booster and just cut that line out of the loop.
[/QUOTE]

Yes that sounds like an older vac line. Do you have a capped off line at the equipment pad?

My PB installed a vac port and line even though I wasn’t going to use it. It cost peanuts to do during the build. I figured he did it in case I changed my mind down the road.

Lol. Yeah. I saw them doing it and asked what it was. They told me ‘something optional that some people get but you didn’t.’ They couldn’t answer why they were doing something I didn’t want or know about. So I have a capped pipe at my equipment pad and what looks like a 3rd return inside the pool. The trim piece is installed but the liner isn’t cut out of the middle so it keeps the pipe empty. A few years later I found out It was for a side suction cleaner thingy. The PB probably has people come back to him after a few seasons of vacuuming manually and wanting an upgrade. It would be easy money down the road to sell me the equipment when the line is in place. It also explained the secrecy so I didn’t just go do it myself without paying him his markup.

So if anybody reading this in the future has something that sounds like this. It’s probably this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.