Headbanger783

Aug 16, 2020
Pa
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
We’re having a pool installed, in ground and I’m DIYing the fence. We are going to do split rail, 3 rails and I need to put wire mesh on the outside to meet code. We currently have a non complaint fence around our property that the pool fence will match….it’s 1000 ft so a separate pool fence is the way to go.

I found a 1.5x1.5 16 gauge mesh. I think that would be BOCA code compliant if placed on the non-pool side of the fence. The township sent me the BOCA standards as what they use.

I want to order soon and my town offices are closed for the holidays…thoughts?

Hey HB !!! This is gonna come down to the inspector (as always). If the inspector considers it chain link mesh, you are good. If he doesn't, it might not fly as 'chicken wire'.

For chain link, it would work if you secured the top and bottom of it, seen here in #6

Maximum mesh size for chain link fences shall be a 1-1/4 inch square unless the fence is provided with slats fastened at the top or bottom which reduce the openings to not more than 1-3/4 inches

I found a random towns code in PA that specifically mentioned any mesh had to be 9 gague, so they were expressly ruling out chicken wire. Yours doesnt, so there is that. But it also may just be understood that it wont fly.

I would call and get the thoughts of the permit/code dept before spending any money.

Attachments

• 12EE50B1-8A91-4150-AA9F-1DBBA39254C4.jpeg
    12EE50B1-8A91-4150-AA9F-1DBBA39254C4.jpeg
    319.4 KB · Views: 41
  • F29450FE-BA1F-404B-87B7-F35B41DAF3A1.jpeg
    F29450FE-BA1F-404B-87B7-F35B41DAF3A1.jpeg
    335.7 KB · Views: 41
Here is a pic of the current fence and the requirements sheet they sent me and a link to the welded wire:
That's a shame. I'm out in the country a bit and we use the stuff you have on your property al the time. I like that much better, and IMO it's much stronger as those are usually steel rods formed into square patterns. The mesh stuff they are recommending is flimsy and only has tighter squares.

Reactions: Headbanger783
Yea what we have is 16 gauge 2x4 welded wire. But it’s on the inside which is the issue. The square stuff is also welded wire…16 gauge…I’m just confused by the different size squares that are required. Guess I’ll have to wait til the offices reopen Tuesday….

As was mentioned, it's all up to the inspector. My take is it isn't going to fly. I believe to have any hope, that the top of the top board is going to need to be 48" from the ground, and the bottom of the bottom board is going to need to be within 2" of the ground. This is because the mesh is not going to provide a barrier above the top board or below the bottom board since it is so flexible that a climber could fold the top of the mesh back, reducing the height or squeeze under the mesh at the bottom if the mesh extended beyond the boards at either the top or bottom. Unless the mesh is under significant tension, it might even be possible for a climber to still use the boards as footholds.

I'd also run any potential fence past your insurance company as well. Ours required an on site inspection with drawings for all barriers that weren't marketed by the manufacturer as BOCA compliant.

Reactions: Casey and newdude
The current fence top board is measured at 48 to the top of the board. The new pool fence will be as well. I can put the bottom board as low as I want so 2 inches isn’t a problem. My real concern is the mesh and the size. I’ve seen some 1x4 mesh advertised as BOCA compliant…it will be pretty tight and I know with the old fence I struggle to climb it.

I’ll send the inspector some pics and a link to double check.

All he originally told me was the mesh has to be on the non-pool side.

The new pool fence will be as well. I can put the bottom board as low as I want
Probably easier and cheaper to string a thick wire through the bottom like they do with chain link.
My real concern is the mesh and the size.
The actual size is irrelevant. What size the inspector feels it is, matters alot. Lol. Some will even argue with your tape measure when you object.

Or he takes one look at it and says 'Meh, good enough'

Reactions: Casey

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just heard back from my township that a 1.5x1.5 mesh is compliant with codes. The vertical part of the mesh can’t be wider that 1.75, so 2x4 is no good but the 1.5x1.5 would pass on a split rail.

Thanks again for all the responses!

I'm in Pa and just had a pool put in last year. I had the same scenario as you. My split rail fence had the wire on the inside, and was 2"x4", which didn't meet code. I pulled that mesh and installed 1.5"W4"Lx 4ft high, but I used 12.5 gauge wire on the outside. Passed inspection. 16 gauge wire is very thin and will not hold up to weed wackers. Try Academy Fence for more info. That's where I got mine.

I'm in PA and my inspector had no idea what he was looking at. I'm not sure if he ever inspected an inground pool in his life?! He came out and bs'ed with us and asked my builder why he was adding a copper wire to the actual pool itself?! When he left, my builder said he was the dumbest inspector he'd ever came into contact with. I'm sure Mr. Inspector isnt a dumb man... he just didnt know what he was looking for bonding wise and took all my builders word at face value that it was up to code. He was more worried about the actual fence. He didn't even make me put a temporary fence up until my chainlink went in. I put in a 5ft black chainlink with outward swinging gate. That was the biggest thing he wanted to see. Everything else was, or seemed, unimportant to him.

I'd go off his word on every single thing he wants. That way you can pass the first time and not have to go back and redo work already done. If you have to ask him for clarification, then do so. Hopefully everything works out.

Attachments

• 20211208_113307.jpg
    20211208_113307.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 29
Just for tickles and giggles, here is a picture of my fence which I did myself. Mesh is 1x2 black vinyl coated steel mounted outside. Gates are mounted on their aluminum posts which are in concrete along with the first split rail post. All other posts are in dirt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.