NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-25
We got a new salt friendly 24ft agp last summer. We previously had a swg and wanted to use that on the new pool. Pool store said they won’t warranty (the work I guess) a salt pool even though the pool and liner manufacturer allow salt. They tried to sell a mineral and ozone system but we said no and did lc and tabs a few times. It is time to hard pipe the rest now so just called and spoke to someone else and asked him to explain and he said swg have to have residual salt and that causes the corrosion. What do I do?! I miss the ease of the swg and not lugging jugs, and the tab floater kept getting stuck on the stairs. He told me about I unstablized tabs but I’m now realizing they might be cal hypo. Thanks.

he said swg have to have residual salt and that causes the corrosion
Each gallon of 12.5% sodium hyperchlorite will add 15 ppm salt. Tabs and powdered shock will be similar for an appropriate dose of FC.

Muriatic acid breaks down to salt.

Baking soda and Calcium Chloride are also salts.

In short, by sticking with bleach, you add a bunch of salt that nobody tests for because it's bleach. You can unknowingly go years near 'salt pool' salinity and nobody bats an eye. Call it a salt pool and everyone loses their mind.

There's some debate on the actual #s, but NOAA is one that claims less than 5000 ppm is freshwater. (They know a thing or two about oceans). Brackish is 5000 to 30,000 and 'salt water' is 30,000+. Salt pools are 3500 ppm and chlorine pools are 1500+.

For the ones who think brackish water starts at 1500, 1) that's still not salt water, it's the very low end of an almost 30k ppm window *before* being sea water, and 2) 'chlorine pools' have 1500ppm+ salt so both them and 'salt pools' are low end brackish.

Reactions: adm525
If you feel that you are being pool$tored is because YOU ARE! There are several threads on Hard piping AGP. Its very easy. Keep using your SWG and follow TFP guidelines and you will be ok. Remember to use recommended Test Kits Compared.
We are hard piping ourselves, just can’t decide chlorine or salt.

Each gallon of 12.5% sodium hyperchlorite will add 15 ppm salt. Tabs and powdered shock will be similar for an appropriate dose of FC.

Muriatic acid breaks down to salt.

Baking soda and Calcium Chloride are also salts.

In short, by sticking with bleach, you add a bunch of salt that nobody tests for because it's bleach. You can unknowingly go years near 'salt pool' salinity and nobody bats an eye. Call it a salt pool and everyone loses their mind.

There's some debate on the actual #s, but NOAA is one that claims less than 5000 ppm is freshwater. (They know a thing or two about oceans). Brackish is 5000 to 30,000 and 'salt water' is 30,000+. Salt pools are 3500 ppm and chlorine pools are 1500+.

For the ones who think brackish water starts at 1500, 1) that's still not salt water, it's the very low end of an almost 30k ppm window *before* being sea water, and 2) 'chlorine pools' have 1500ppm+ salt so both them and 'salt pools' are low end brackish.
I told the guy that there’s very little difference in salinity between salt vs non salt pools then he started talking about residual salt causing damage, which I didn’t understand.

When I switched to an SWG - I measured the amount of salt in my pool to figure out how much I needed to add.

25000 gallon pool should take 600lbs of salt to get up to the 3000ppm or so I was aiming at.

Except the pool was already at 1800ppm. Never had salt in it - that was just from years of Chlorine breaking down into salt.

Pool Store is full of crud - the pool has salt the minute you put chlorine Sodium Hypochlorite or Trichlor or Dichlor in it.

When I switched to an SWG - I measured the amount of salt in my pool to figure out how much I needed to add.

25000 gallon pool should take 600lbs of salt to get up to the 3000ppm or so I was aiming at.

Except the pool was already at 1800ppm. Never had salt in it - that was just from years of Chlorine breaking down into salt.

Pool Store is full of crud - the pool has salt the minute you put chlorine Sodium Hypochlorite or Trichlor or Dichlor in it.
My pool was around the same ppm when we switched to salt the first time. I’m just paranoid I’m going to mess something up on the new pool but the science says otherwise. Thank you!

Reactions: Newdude