Feedback requested on my plan for EasySet 12'x30" setup and maintenance

bjaspan

Mar 12, 2021
Boston, MA
Hi! We sort of accidentally acquired an Intex EasySet pool for free from a town mailing list (it is one season old; the previous owner upgraded to a larger model). I’d like to know as much as possible about what I need to do before I buy stuff and set it up. My goal is for the pool to be simple to maintain and not for it to become a time-consuming hobby. My plan is based on my reading of the TFP Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools. Feedback on this plan (products, quantities, procedures, etc.) will be greatly appreciated!

• Pool hardware (this is what we got for free)
    • Intex EasySet 12’x30” (I’m pretty sure I got all the parts)
    • Intex Krystal Clear filter pump model 603
    • Pool Debris Cover (“fits 13ft diameter Easy Set pools” but the box is marked 12.3 ft)
  • Installation
    • On a patio. Slope is 1.5” over 12’.
    • Ground cloth: Undetermined. Our patio is pretty smooth but there are shallow creases between the stones. I’m not sure if I need anything. I plan to browse Home Depot to see what looks reasonable.
    • I’ll follow the setup instructions in the manual.
  • Chemicals & test kit. Prices are all from Amazon a few minutes ago.
    • Taylor K-1000 Basic Residential Pool & Spa Test Kit, $10
    • CYA: Robelle 2604B Stabilizer for Swimming Pools, 4 lb, $20
    • pH reducer: Acid Blue Muriatic Acid - Swimming Pool pH Reducer Balancer | Buffered, Low-Fume - 1 Gallon, $35
    • pH increaser: 20 Mule Team Borax Natural Laundry Booster 65 Ounce pack of 2, $14
    • Chlorine: Clorox Disinfecting Bleach, Concentrated Formula, Regular - 43 Ounce Bottle, $4
    • Pump filters: Intex Type A Filter Cartridge for Pools, Twin Pack, $17 ($8.50/filter)
  • Water setup procedure
    • Fill the pool. It holds 1,485 gallons.
    • Add 8.9 oz CYA, dissolved in a bucket of water.
    • Wait 10 minutes.
    • Test pH level, and using the PoolMath calculator, and adjust the level to be between 7.2-7.8 using the pH reducer or increaser.
    • Wait 10 minutes.
    • Test Free Chlorine level, and adjust to 4ppm using the bleach.
  • Maintenance
    • Daily: Test and adjust pH and Free Chlorine level as above.
    • Bi-weekly: Change pump filter.
Thanks!
Barry

Last edited:
Looks good to me, here are my suggestions:
  • I've never heard or used the "Acid Blue Muriatic Acid", It's way more expensive than the stuff you can get locally. You should get some MA at your home depot/lowes.
  • Don't get the Clorox bleach, it has additives that aren't good for pools. Get "liquid chlorine", or unscented bleach without any additives.
Have fun with your new pool!

Hi! We sort of accidentally acquired an Intex EasySet pool for free from a town mailing list (it is one season old; the previous owner upgraded to a larger model). I’d like to know as much as possible about what I need to do before I buy stuff and set it up. My goal is for the pool to be simple to maintain and not for it to become a time-consuming hobby. My plan is based on my reading of the TFP Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools. Feedback on this plan (products, quantities, procedures, etc.) will be greatly appreciated!

• Pool hardware (this is what we got for free)
    • Intex EasySet 12’x30” (I’m pretty sure I got all the parts)
    • Intex Krystal Clear filter pump model 603
    • Pool Debris Cover (“fits 13ft diameter Easy Set pools” but the box is marked 12.3 ft)
  • Installation
    • On a patio. Slope is 1.5” over 12’.
    • Ground cloth: Undetermined. Our patio is pretty smooth but there are shallow creases between the stones. I’m not sure if I need anything. I plan to browse Home Depot to see what looks reasonable.
    • I’ll follow the setup instructions in the manual.
  • Chemicals & test kit. Prices are all from Amazon a few minutes ago.
    • Taylor K-1000 Basic Residential Pool & Spa Test Kit, $10
    • CYA: Robelle 2604B Stabilizer for Swimming Pools, 4 lb, $20
    • pH reducer: Acid Blue Muriatic Acid - Swimming Pool pH Reducer Balancer | Buffered, Low-Fume - 1 Gallon, $35
    • pH increaser: 20 Mule Team Borax Natural Laundry Booster 65 Ounce pack of 2, $14
    • Chlorine: Clorox Disinfecting Bleach, Concentrated Formula, Regular - 43 Ounce Bottle, $4
    • Pump filters: Intex Type A Filter Cartridge for Pools, Twin Pack, $17 ($8.50/filter)
  • Water setup procedure
    • Fill the pool. It holds 1,485 gallons.
    • Add 8.9 oz CYA, dissolved in a bucket of water.
    • Wait 10 minutes.
    • Test pH level, and using the PoolMath calculator, and adjust the level to be between 7.2-7.8 using the pH reducer or increaser.
    • Wait 10 minutes.
    • Test Free Chlorine level, and adjust to 4ppm using the bleach.
  • Maintenance
    • Daily: Test and adjust pH and Free Chlorine level as above.
    • Bi-weekly: Change pump filter.
Thanks!
Barry
My suggestions as an old intex owner are as follows:

1. Really make sure the area you are placing it is as level as can be

2. Get rid of the pump/filter it comes with and upgrade to a sand filter

3. For the cya use dry & place in socks or knee high hose and hang in front of return.. if you squeeze them a lot it won't take long to mix

4. Chlorine get the pool essentials from walmart or find a pool store that sells liquid chlorine

5. Get a real test kit either the tf-100 from TFTestkits.net or k2006C, it will save you headaches later

Look at the recommended levels here and use that for game plan: What Are My Ideal Pool Levels? - Trouble Free Pool

Reactions: Capopapo
Thanks for the info!

Both of you said not to use Clorox but to get liquid chlorine. Walmart's Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid is $30/gallon. The Recommended Pool Chemicals page in Pool School says "You want common household bleach, without any additives or special features, typically labeled unscented or “original scent”." What about Clorox Germicidal Bleach, Regular 121 Ounce Bottle, which does not have CLOROMAX, at $6.50/(almost)gallon? Or what is a specific other regular household/laundry bleach that works? If I really need to get the more expensive "liquid chlorine" products that is totally fine, but the Pool School pages seem to make a point of saying that they aren't really necessary.

Also, how much liquid chlorine/bleach am I likely to need for this 1,500 gallon pool for one summer? I realize the answer will depend somewhat on the concentration of various chemicals but the concentrations seem to vary by less than a factor of two so the quantity I need shouldn't vary that widely I'd think. I also know to use the Pool Math calculator each time, but that doesn't tell me approximately how much I'll use in a season.

For pH reducer, how is Clorox Pool&Spa pH Down for Reducing pH Levels in Swimming Pools, 5 lb Bag? (I have no preference for Clorox brand, that is just what I'm finding.) Also, same question about the quantity I'm likely to need this summer.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info!

Both of you said not to use Clorox but to get liquid chlorine. Walmart's Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid is $30/gallon. The Recommended Pool Chemicals page in Pool School says "You want common household bleach, without any additives or special features, typically labeled unscented or “original scent”." What about Clorox Germicidal Bleach, Regular 121 Ounce Bottle, which does not have CLOROMAX, at $6.50/(almost)gallon? Or what is a specific other regular household/laundry bleach that works? If I really need to get the more expensive "liquid chlorine" products that is totally fine, but the Pool School pages seem to make a point of saying that they aren't really necessary.

Also, how much liquid chlorine/bleach am I likely to need for this 1,500 gallon pool for one summer? I realize the answer will depend somewhat on the concentration of various chemicals but the concentrations seem to vary by less than a factor of two so the quantity I need shouldn't vary that widely I'd think. I also know to use the Pool Math calculator each time, but that doesn't tell me approximately how much I'll use in a season.

For pH reducer, how is Clorox Pool&Spa pH Down for Reducing pH Levels in Swimming Pools, 5 lb Bag? (I have no preference for Clorox brand, that is just what I'm finding.) Also, same question about the quantity I'm likely to need this summer.

Thanks again!
If you are looking at it on their app that $30 is a 3rd party seller, I just went and pucked some up T my walmart they had the 2 pack boxes

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.