Feedback on wiring P1353 - updating T104

kjdiver

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 23, 2009
Virginia
Hello and Happy Friday! Doing research as I want to wire my 2 speed pump to be on a timer so I can schedule times for both low and high. Currently I have it hooked up to a T104 and a toggle switch to control the low and high. Instead of adding a T106 I bought the Intermatic T1353ME, planning to buy a new SWG in the future and wanted to have a separate timer option for it. I have a Jandy 2 speed pump (4 wires already to box), Raypak 406 gas heater, and Compupool SWG (about to die). Bought a Maytronic last year so I also plan to remove my dead booster pump and wiring.

-Goals:
  1. Timer that can be scheduled for each pump speed
  2. Timer for SWG and have it work on hi or low speed
  3. Heater only work on hi speed – heater is turned on/off manually – no timer capability needed
To enable these goals with the P1353 it sounds like Mode 7 is how I should wire it. Any feedback on the two wiring diagrams I have came up with?

Thanks for reading this post and appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Attachments

• research1.JPG
    research1.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 0
  • research2.JPG
    research2.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 1
  • current.JPG
    current.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 0
Thanks Dave! Just to confirm I could wire it this way and Circuit 3 would allow me to schedule the SWG and it would ONLY work if the Circuit 1 or 2 is on?
Any benefit wiring the second breaker (currently not used) into the equation?

That is correct. Assuming that the wire from the SWCG goes all the way to #2 and isn't connected to the pump anywhere.
There are a lot of ways you could do it, but for what you're wanting to do, I like the way you show.
There's no need for the second breaker the way you're wiring it.

Reactions: kjdiver
Thanks Bama! I wired it up exactly as I diagrammed (I cleaned up the diagram to show I connected SWG to 2 and 8). Circuit one - pump on hi and circuit two - pump on low work as expected! I am learning that with Mode 7 the third timer isn't enabled. The SWG is powered when One or Two is on, not exactly what I was hoping for but I can definitely live with this.

Problem I have is the heater is powered with Circuit Two (pump on low)...which I can't understand because I have the Heater connected to 2 and 4. Any suggestions on what I need to change?

Thank you so very much!

current wiring.jpg

Sorry I should have caught that earlier. Since 2 is jumped to 3 you basically had the heater hooked to 2 & 2 when the relay made. So when the pump was on low it backfed 4 to make the heater work. Hooking it to 8 will work fine.

Mode 7 is working exactly as you've described it. Circuit 3 is tied to circuit 1 & 2 so anytime either circuit 1 or 2 is on circuit 3 will be on.

If you want to control the swg independent of the pump you could rewire and use mode 4, but then the swg would only run when the pump is on high. You could also rewire and use mode 2 but then it would be possible to run the swg when the pump wasn't running, but as long as you program the timer to run only when the pump was running it isn't likely that, that could happen.

Great info on the modes! I have been lazy and wasting money by running my pump 24/7 on high and just using the SWGs timer. My compupool is dying and when I started to look at new SWGs I realized they all don’t have timers built into them. I think mode 7 will work good, my pumps will run as long as my SWG needs to. But now I can mix up the speeds between high and low and not run 24/7.

My wife thinks I am just playing with the pool, but this time there should be a payoff ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.