FC to high for FAS-DPD test?

Jun 23, 2017
San Diego
In the SLAM process after doing a partial drain and refill to get CYA down from 200+ to 55. I had the wrong CYA plugged into the calculator and added 5 gallons of % bleach initially which should have raised FC to about 39, however after 24 hours and several attempts to get a FC reading I cannot get the sample to go clear. I stopped at 120 drops which would be 60 PPM (?) because it didn't make sense based on the calculator. The pool has improved visibly in a day and I've cleaned dead algae out of the filter twice, but I haven't added bleach yet since I can't get a measurement. Wondering if i'm missing something?

Full results when I started were:

FC: 0
CYA: 55
TA: 80
PH: 7.8
CH: 175

Also wondering if I need to be concerned about the low CH or any other levels?

Testing using 10 ml, and yes when I add the R-0870 powder it turns a dark shade of pink.

I have been using a Taylor SpeedStir to mix while adding the R-003 drops but I didn't think that would make a difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Ha, answered my own question. Should be using R0871 and I used R003 instead. Now I feel silly....

Testing using 10 ml, and yes when I add the R-0870 powder it turns a dark shade of pink.

I have been using a Taylor SpeedStir to mix while adding the R-003 drops but I didn't think that would make a difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Ha, answered my own question. Should be using R0871 and I used R003 instead. Now I feel silly....

Don't feel silly...you're not the only one who's done that...;) Every time I think I have the process memorized, I seem to do this. I've learned to read the directions (not just skim them!) and verify the reagent number every time, as apparently, old brains cant remember stuff (I think there's a name for that...but I forget...LOL) One of the ways I remember now, is that the big bottle is first, because you use it twice for the test. But I still read the dang instructions, and verify on the label.

My other "stupid human" trick is dumping the stir pellet down the sink when the test is over. This results in a nice fishing expedition in the garbage disposal, since I never seem to hit the strainer either....;)

My other "stupid human" trick is dumping the stir pellet down the sink when the test is over. This results in a nice fishing expedition in the garbage disposal, since I never seem to hit the strainer either....;)
Here's some advice I gave my friend, Stumpy. When reaching in the garbage disposal, and you ask someone to turn on the light, make sure that they know which switch is which.

If he would have listened to me, we would still be calling him Edward.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.