FC question

Why does the phone app say 10.0 - 16.0 is the target where most I see on here maintain 2.0 - 3.0?
Since CYA blunts the effectiveness of chlorine, we compensate for this by following the FC/CYA Levels. Your CYA level is extremely high so you need to keep your FC level way higher than 2-3 or there won't be enough active chlorine to prevent algae and potentially not even enough to properly sanitize the water. Realistically you shouldn't leave your CYA level that high, which is why you don't see it listed on the chart I linked to.

Also at what level should people not be allowed to enter?
Up to the SLAM level. I'm completely and 100% serious when I say that if your CYA is actually 130 then you can safely swim with an FC level up to 61 ppm. The truth is that because of all the CYA in your water that level of FC would actually feel and smell like it has less chlorine than most public pools.

Why does the phone app say 10.0 - 16.0 is the target where most I see on here maintain 2.0 - 3.0? What am I missing here? Also at what level should people not be allowed to enter?

the safe level of chlorine is based on how
much stabilizer is in the water as described here:

lots of the industry is working with standards based on either old information or commercial pools where CYA isn’t allowed to be used. Don’t follow those old standards if you want the pool to stay clean.

Thank for all the replies, my pool is drawing as i write this, we have cool stretch coming so why not. Going take it down about 18”, its 18’ x 36’ so hoping that will put me back in the ball park below 100. If not I will do it again.

About 7300 gallons by my estimate.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.