Gold Supporter
Jun 25, 2012
Conroe, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Still a noob here even though I’ve been a member a while. I travel for work every week so I hire a weekly pool service (don’t shoot me) so my weekends are not nothing but home maintenance. Recently the pool company they changed hands and the service and my pool went to Crud. They’ve been fired and working on finding a new one that subscribes to more of the TFP ethos.

As I have become my own pool boy, discovered my CYA level was 130-140 so clearly the clowns were just feeding my pool tabs nonstop. So I spent my vacation week this week draining the pool by half and refilling. This got my CYA down to 95 so another drain this week if I can make the time. I’ve been using an old TF-100 I’ve had a couple years and also testing at Leslie’s as there is one right around the corner. Both tests are close.

I started using the Pool Math app and here is my question. Why does Leslie’s Target FC say 1-4ppm while TFP Pool Math says 7-12ppm. What am I missing here? All the other targets are similar between the two.

Why does Leslie’s Target FC say 1-4ppm while TFP Pool Math says 7-12ppm.
They do not account for or recognize the FC-to-CYA relationship. They simply give a generic number and expect all pools to follow suit. That's their response to all levels.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Still a noob here even though I’ve been a member a while. I travel for work every week so I hire a weekly pool service (don’t shoot me) so my weekends are not nothing but home maintenance. Recently the pool company they changed hands and the service and my pool went to Crud. They’ve been fired and working on finding a new one that subscribes to more of the TFP ethos.

As I have become my own pool boy, discovered my CYA level was 130-140 so clearly the clowns were just feeding my pool tabs nonstop. So I spent my vacation week this week draining the pool by half and refilling. This got my CYA down to 95 so another drain this week if I can make the time. I’ve been using an old TF-100 I’ve had a couple years and also testing at Leslie’s as there is one right around the corner. Both tests are close.

I started using the Pool Math app and here is my question. Why does Leslie’s Target FC say 1-4ppm while TFP Pool Math says 7-12ppm. What am I missing here? All the other targets are similar between the two.
Save your time and stay out of Leslie’s. Their tests aren’t any more accurate and lots of times way off.

Hopefully this will help give you a better understanding
👇

Finding a pool service that follows tfp methods with manually chlorinating is likely going to be a bit difficult.
It simply doesn’t lend itself to the once a week schedule that pool services must use. The closest thing you might get is them loading you up with liquid chlorine the day of then throwing in tabs to try & get you through to the next service after the fc from the liquid chlorine has been consumed.
For folks who can’t feed their pool daily/every couple days with liquid chlorine a swg is a very worthwhile solution. It can feed your pool fc daily whether you’re home or not.

As far as the physical labor stuff goes - a robotic pool cleaner can really lighten the load there.

Sounds like you need to order new reagents.

Also consider installing a SWG. It will add a little chlorine daily - even in your absence.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.