Rice07

Jun 19, 2021
Houston/Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello. All my numbers are in range and I have done SLAM to remove CC. I now have no combined chlorine but I am loosing FC rapidly. Example I will get levels to 7 (cYA level is 60). Later in same day I will be down to 1.9. I have no algae and water is crystal clear. I live in Houston with about half day of full sunlight. Is this normal chorine loss in a day? If not what else should I be doing to help lower this? I did get sucked into the Orenda app and products before learning about TFP. About 3 weeks ago I added there metal sc1000 that cleared chlorine for 4 days and maybe it is still having negative effect. Any advice would be appreciated.

Ok. So I just posted it. The cya is going to read 0 because of that same chemical for metals I added to pool. The Orenda ppl said it could effect cya measurement for up to 3-4 weeks. I had it measured at leslies before putting chemical in and it was 60 so I’m still assuming it is close from what i have read of CYA. I have not drained the pool at all so I can not see how it would drop to zero if not for the chemical added. The color q was giving me way different reading on calcium though so it looks way higher than I thought it was.

The cya is going to read 0 because of that same chemical for metals I added to pool. The Orenda ppl said it could effect cya measurement for up to 3-4 weeks.
I have never heard of a chemical that does that. Let's ask @JamesW if he knows if that is true.

The ColorQ is not accurate for CH. That is a known issue.

Orenda SC1000 Scale & Metal Control is probably Iminodisuccinic Acid Sodium Salt (CAS NUMBER 144538-83-0)

It reacts with the calcium and magnesium ions in water and forms chelate complexes.

I don’t know if it does anything to any of the other chemicals including cyanuric acid.

As far as I know, it does not.

Orenda just says “SC1000 Scale & Metal Control is an aqueous solution designed to control both metal and calcium. The exact formulation is proprietary and a trade secret”.

You will have to ask them confirm the exact chemical and what possible interference it might have with any of the test results.

I think that it is made for them by the Lanxess Corporation.

The chemical is probably similar to HEDP or EDTA.

It's a metal sequestrant and chelant.

I don't think that it should affect the CYA test.

It might create some chlorine demand if it is easily oxidized like EDTA.

The only pool chemical that I know that would affect the CYA is melamine and the only pool chemical that had melamine was a cyanuric acid reducer.

It complexes with the cyanuric acid to create an insoluble precipitate, which is what happens when you do the CYA test.

The cyanuric acid reducer with melamine was discontinued.

Has your cyanuric acid reading changed recently?

Since the chemical combines with calcium, it might interfere with the calcium hardness test, but I don't know how much of an issue it might be.

If the product contains sulfamic acid, then you will see increased CC readings.

If you have no CC or very low CC, then the product probably does not contain sulfamic acid.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The cya is going to read 0 because of that same chemical for metals I added to pool.
Are you just assuming or are you measuring?
The Orenda ppl said it could effect cya measurement for up to 3-4 weeks.
You should clarify exactly what they are saying as I suspect that there is some sort of misunderstanding.
I had it measured at leslies before putting chemical in and it was 60 so I’m still assuming it is close from what i have read of CYA.
You need to get your own good test kit and check the chemistry for yourself.

Reactions: wireform
They just got back to me. They said that it will impact the cya test for a few weeks and also the calcium readings. He said to wait a few weeks before trusting either of those readings.

The chemical is probably similar to HEDP or EDTA.

It's a metal sequestrant and chelant.

I don't think that it should affect the CYA test.

It might create some chlorine demand if it is easily oxidized like EDTA.

The only pool chemical that I know that would affect the CYA is melamine and the only pool chemical that had melamine was a cyanuric acid reducer.

It complexes with the cyanuric acid to create an insoluble precipitate, which is what happens when you do the CYA test.

The cyanuric acid reducer with melamine was discontinued.

Has your cyanuric acid reading changed recently?
Yes it has. Was at 60-65 based on color q test and the Leslies test. After adding chemical it dropped to 11 at leslies and zero on Taylor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.