FC level increased double what I expected

Here are pictures of the bleach bottle to show date code and strength. I now see that the percentage is actually 11% and not 10%. The Pool Math Calculator said it would take 115 oz of 11% bleach to go from a FC level of 5.5 to 10.0. I put in 60 oz on Friday, 2/26/16.
As I sustpected, you got fresh stuff. It would have been "born" on the sixth day of 2016 (00616), or at the end of the first week of January. Labeled as 11% it may actually have been a little higher if it was handled well and stored well in transit.

It's not going to hurt her. Crazy cat, drink from the bowl. :jocolor:

She loves her pool water even though she gets fresh water daily in her water bowl. If a leaf falls in and floats near the edge, she will stick her paw into the water to grab it. I'm going to build her a kitty raft this summer.

- - - Updated - - -

As I sustpected, you got fresh stuff. It would have been "born" on the sixth day of 2016 (00616), or at the end of the first week of January. Labeled as 11% it may actually have been a little higher if it was handled well and stored well in transit.

I had no issue with an unexpected increase in FC until I got to the second jug. Jug 1 and jug 2 have identical date codes. The whole thing is just too strange!

She loves her pool water even though she gets fresh water daily in her water bowl. If a leaf falls in and floats near the edge, she will stick her paw into the water to grab it. I'm going to build her a kitty raft this summer.
Our dog will walk past three water bowls to drink from the pool. ...sigh...

No need to build a raft, the thick foam floats at Costco are great for the cats. Our two yong ones will even jump off the raft and swim back to the top step. The older cats, not so much. If I even carry them too close to the pool I need to have EMS standing by for a transfusion.

My cat wants you to drip the bathtub for him, ALL. The. TIME! I even bought one of those jug waterers, to no avail. But, he's getting old, so we humor him, most of the time. (Until the day he jumped up and ate raw chicken off the counter!)

I like the higher strength chlorine, I don't have to lug around as many bottles.

We put a pet ramp in our above ground pool just in case one of the cats fell in. The first time I saw one of them ON the ramp I went running out to dry them off BUT they were dry! They were using the ramp to have easier access to the pool water! Talk about a heart attack!

Kim

I thought I would update about my "extra power" bleach adventure. I have added bleach a few more times and the FC level has always climbed more than projected by the pool math calculator for 10% bleach.

FC 6.0 added 16 oz of 10% bleach that was purchased at Home Depot, 45 minutes after acid was added
CC .5 1 drop to go back to clear from a tinge of pink
pH 7.9 added 32 oz of acid to drop to about 7.5
TA 100
CH 300
Temp 75 degrees
CYA ~60 last time I checked (no reason for it to change)

The pool math calulator said to add 28 ounces to increase FC by 1 ppm.

The 16 ounces I chose to add actually raised my FC from 6.0 to 7.5 (tested 5 hours after bleach was added). The pool math calculator said I would need 42 oz to get that increase in FC.

I did one other addition about 5 days ago and had the same larger than expected increase in FC but I never got around to writing the email.

Still working on the same bottle of bleach since the first post/use on 2/27.

The water looks awesome! I really have to pay attention though because the days are getting warmer and sunnier and the pool temp is increasing. I won't be going weeks without adding bleach anymore.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.