FC is 0, CYA is 0 -- Oops!!

Starting out with water testing

Merged the threads. Keep posts that are even remotely related together. Thanks, jblizzle

My backstory is this: pool built just about a year ago. Hubby has been adding salt and acid as needed but that's it. I've taken over with chemistry and discovered that our CYA is 0 and FC as well (we live in southeast Louisiana, and our back yard has no shade, leaving our pool in full sun year round). I had posted elsewhere about this but decided to move the discussion here since I'm digressing a bit from my original topic. I'm starting to get things under control (keeping FC up with bleach to help out the SWG and adding acid as needed), but this is what's going on now..:

Test results yesterday were here:
FC 3.4
CC 0.2
pH 7.0
TA 50
CH 210
CYA <30

I was preparing to add borax today to get that pH up, but when I tested today, we're here:
FC 1.5
pH 7.4
TA 50

Is my pH fluctuating so much because my TA is a little low? I started the process of bringing the CYA up today (will do it in 3 phases), all while adding chlorine as needed, but do I need to work on bringing the TA up as well?

I've been reading up on Pool School as much as possible but am still a little new to this. Hoping to get everything under control asap!

Thanks in advance :)

Aeration causes the pH to rise, a SWG causes aeration ... so just the SWG will raise the pH some.
I would not raise much if at all for now, just see if the pH reaches a reasonable equilibrium.
I would target about 50ppm of CYA, verify in a week and then bump it once more ... it is not that critical to be exact.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.