FC Freefall - Steps to Correct?

Bfisher79

Mar 9, 2023
Oviedo, FL
We've had our inground salt pool up and running in Florida for roughly a year now and have not had to deal with any water chemistry issues outside of normal maintenance (reducing pH w/ muriatic acid as needed, adding salt, CYA, hardness increaser, etc). We've been using the WaterGuru Sense2 for about the same length of time so have been referencing that in addition to Taylor testing as needed. Running our salt cell at 11-14% has generally kept us at a good level for FC (between 2-3.5) and have not had a need to shock the pool to date.

Over the last week or so however we've seen our FC levels start to freefall, reading 3.0 on May 2nd and then starting to fall off daily to 0.4 today (May 10th). We bumped the salt cell percentage from 15-20% yesterday and still saw a drop from 0.7 to 0.4. I've checked the salt cell and there's no error code, all indicator lights show as good, and the interior is clean with no scaling. Only other change made was to reduce the run time of our water features (bubblers and bowls) from 4 hours in the evening weekdays/11 hours weekends to about 30 minutes in the morning when we have everything run at a higher speed for about 2 hours. Doing so was an effort to reduce the pH climbs and save some energy by running at a lower speed (features require higher rpm). Pump generally runs at about 1500rpm now for most of the day outside of the morning high flow period.

Below are the measurements from today (both Taylor and Water Guru) as well as the last 7 days of FC, pH, temp, and flow from WaterGuru and 1 month of FC specifically.

-----------Taylor--------WaterGuru
FC---------0.4---------------0.4
pH---------7.6---------------7.7
TA 90(25ml)/100(10ml)----139
CH---------310--------------267
CYA--------30----------------32
Salt - 3300 (aqualink)

At this point there are three main things to correct that I see - FC, CYA and TA. My question is what order to tackle them in and how. I purchased some granulated shock this morning (1lb Shock MaxBlue sodium dichlor), which I've seen with raise CYA, with the thought of trying to bump the FC quickly. Should I start with the shock and then adjust CYA further as needed? Or should I be looking to add granulated, liquid, or tab chlorine instead with CYA and skip the shock? Should both of those levels be stabilized before tackling the TA (which I'm unsure as to how to handle aside from "aerating")?

Aside from addressing and correcting levels, any thoughts as far as what the issues with the AquaPure and chlorine generation might be? Very much appreciate the help as we've not had to deal with something like this previously!

Attachments

• IMG_1664.PNG
    IMG_1664.PNG
    230.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1665.PNG
    IMG_1665.PNG
    62.1 KB · Views: 0
It's probably time to bump your CYA with the FL sun taking its toll as it warms up.

Overnight Chlorine Loss Test before you do.

Also, switch to 10ml FC samples. There's simply no need for .2 resolution and you'll save 2.5X the supplies. Each drop is 1/2 FC with 10ml.

Get the FC to 8 to 10 with liquid chlorine. Redose if necessary this evening for the OCLT.

If algae hadn't crept in to cause the problem, or crept in since the problem, we adjust the CYA tomorrow.

If you fail the OCLT, you SLAM Process at 30 CYA with a much lower FC target than if you raise the CYA now.

Reactions: Mdragger88