FC drops a like a rock, CYA at 60

Jun 8, 2018
Landenberg, PA
Hi All

I am a new pool owner struggling to keep my FC level up!

I opened the pool myself with the help of a neighbor. Minimal algae, used a bunch of oxygen based shock left by previous owner and no more green pretty quickly.

My problem is that my Free Chlorine drops fast. I came here read some ordered a TF 100 and initiated a SLAM process but bought only 8 1280z jugs of 10% Sodium Hypochlorite (figuring it was enough until i got the kit and measured CYA. Highest test was an FC of 14, about 24 hours later when I got back home it was 2!

My CYA level is 60
CC <1 ppm
TA 110
Calcium Hardness 300
pH 7.2

What am I doing wrong?
CYA is on the high side so I should not really see free chlorine drop fast due to sunlight. Pool is not perfectly clean but not a mess either..

I am going to get more bleach and start again but I want the effort to be successful.

Thanks
Nate

Welcome, Nate! :wave:

What you're doing wrong is underestimating how tough algae is. What you described sounds normal. But when you get serious, you need to take FC up to 24 and recheck it every couple hours, not every 12. The SLAM Process is a process, not a one-time megadose as instructed by the pool-store. Knock it down and then kick it while it's down, again and again and again until it's dead. And don't forget to brush and clean out hidden areas like under steps and behind lights and inside the skimmer throat.

Welcome to the forum!

What was the 'oxygen based shock'? Some products create a large chlorine load until they are consumed.

Do you have the container it came in? What are the ingredients?

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.