FC dropping

Hopefully you ordered a refill from TFTestkits.net.

If you run out, you will just have to blindly add chlorine each day and hope it stays above minimum. Restart the process when you get your refill.

So one question.....
In pool mode I have 4 returns:
-qty.1 fountain on the sunshelf
-qty.2 in spa wall
-qty.4 in pool wall
-qty.1 hot water return in the floor of the deep end. This is normally used in the winter when heating the pool. I keep it shut off most of the time to keep flow higher other places.

I just started only leaving one return open for an hour at a time to get good flow through each set of piping.

While looking around, I noticed my overfill pipe. I took the cap off and stuck my finger in there. Slug of green algae. Now there is some sort of J pipe in there but I’m wondering now if rains might cause some algae backflow into the pool.0B58417C-E731-4C66-B455-ED0FC79061E1.jpeg

Starting day 5......
I cleaned out the overflow pipe with bleach and hose (used the hose on the pool side first). During the entire cleaning, I never saw anything come out the port into the pool, so doubting this was my problem. But, OCLT results performed last night look good:

9p - 37ppm
7a - 34.5ppm

I think I’m in a good spot and trending To the finish. I’ll continue SLAM today and perform another OCLT tonight.

Ok well......wife just informed me that we are having some friends over with kids tonight. Asked me if the kids can go swimming.....I said 'no' initially just due to the FC amount and I feel like I am about to put this thing to bed. But she is not happy so there you go.

Thinking I can just let the FC drift down today, they swim tonight, and then I bring back up to SLAM level and do another OCLT tomorrow night. Hate to do it but she is pressuring me. Ugh.

wife just informed me that we are having some friends over with kids tonight. Asked me if the kids can go swimming
You can safely swim in a pool as long as the FC is above the minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You must also be able to see the bottom of the pool in the deep end of the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks great. If you are not getting any debris in the pool, I would suggest you let the FC drift down to under 20 ppm and do your OCLT. The inherent error in the FC test procedure makes passing a OCLT at elevated FC levels difficult.

Also be sure your testing vial is clean. Use bleach to clean it out.

Looks great. If you are not getting any debris in the pool, I would suggest you let the FC drift down to under 20 ppm and do your OCLT. The inherent error in the FC test procedure makes passing a OCLT at elevated FC levels difficult.

Also be sure your testing vial is clean. Use bleach to clean it out.

I haven't really seen any debris in the pool since I started. That said, I normally vacuum first and then brush. This morning, I brushed the bottom of the pool instead of vacuuming first and didn't see any debris plume(s) anywhere. Doesn't mean there wasn't anything there, but nothing I could see.

On the vial, I have only been using the CHLORINE ONLY vial for my FC/CC tests. Still clean it out with bleach just to be sure there isn't any other buildup from the water samples?

During my 1st slam 5 years ago I removed the cover from the main drain & cleaned the drain with a tooth brush. Turn off the filter if you decide to do this. Basically the same as cleaning the light niche. Both were quite disgusting. Wish I would have taken a before & after pictures. Hint hint!

Last edited:
During my 1st slam 5 years ago I removed the cover from the main drain & cleaned the drain with a tooth brush. Turn off the filter if you decide to do this. Basically the same as cleaning the light niche. Both were quite disgusting. Wish I would have taken a before & after pictures. Hint hint!

I hear you......been thinking about doing this actually. How were you able to clean the drain?

I’m not worried as much about the breath holding as I am thinking about staying submerged and turning a screw driver in 6’ of water.

Does anyone know if the screws are captured on these?

Midday reading at 1:30p:
FC - 27.5ppm

It's been sunny out today and my pool temp is 91F. I should be pretty close to 20ppm by the end of the day. I'll check water an adjust to 20 at 8:30 and take a final reading at 9.

If you exhale before diving you won't be as buoyant. You could also hang onto something with one hand & brush with the other. Maybe a dumbbell or a pail with rocks in it.
Yep. I was thinking about a cinder block but I get so weirded out by putting random stuff in the pool. Maybe after a good bleach cleaning.

PS - I don't think the screws are captured.
Figures......that sucks.:cautious:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.