FC/ CYA TF-100 test kit

JonoVegas

Oct 6, 2018
Las Vegas NV
Why does the TF-100 test kit have a CL test that only goes to FC of 5 (the yellow color test box)?

Seems useless given the CYA/FC chart. Virtually every outdoor pool is recommended to have CYA of 30/40 or more which means the target FC is going to be above 5. My nice, not cheap TF-100 test kit has a key component that is kind of worthless, right?

Sure it can tell me if FC is low, but it's not going tell me if I am on target (based on FC/CYA chart). Why? Am I missing something?

Well they are just including two chlorine tests I guess. The OTO and the FAS/DPD. The FAS/DPD goes to 50ppm chlorine or more so it should be plenty capable for monitoring FC/CYA at just about any reasonable CYA level. I don't even use the OTO test.

Scott,

The main reason for the K-1000 test kit is for pH.. It just happens to come with the color match chlorine test in the same test block. It can be used to just verify that you have "some" chlorine... I have never used it for all the reasons you have pointed out.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Some users use the OTO chlorine test as it's a very quick way to eyeball your chlorine. Once you fully understand your pool you're able to kinda predict what the water's going to do. I'm able to check my chlorine daily using the OTO kit and double check that my "educated guess" is correct by the shade of yellow I see. If there's ANYTHING that seems odd from the OTO kit, I check using my FAS/DPD kit.

I mean, worthless or not the pH test is necessary and virtually all pH tests come attached to an OTO chlorine test. No reason not to include the inexpensive k-1000 test for the good pH test whether you do or do not use the OTO test.

Agreed you need a good ph test. That wasn't top of mind for me because I have intellichem monitoring my ph and check it with a hanna meter. So I don't use it too terribly often so I forgot that was the main reason for including it.

Actually, it's not the "main" reason. The idea behind it is to use the OTO chlorine test on a daily basis to keep you apprised of the "rough" amount of FC in your pool. It is quick, easy and cheap AND reliable......just not very accurate. Seeing the same shade of yellow each day, however, is quite reassuring and I can promise you you will easily detect a change of 2 ppm one way or the other.

Then, the more expensive FAS/DPD test is used when there are needs for better precision. (SLAM, OCLT, maintaining a precise FC level)

I know many of you never use the OTO, trusting the accuracy of the FAS/DPD and wanting that accuracy every day........that works

I also know that many of you like the speed of the OTO ( I certainly do) making it awfully convenient to test FC daily and quickly........that works, too.

So, the real reason to include both tests is to give you some options in your chlorine management......using methods that work best for you.

By the way, the FAS/DPD test is far and away the most expensive test in the kit. The kit could sell for A LOT LESS if the FAS/DPD test wasn't in it.

Of course, TFTestkits thinks that test REALLY separates the TF-100 (and the K-2006C) from other kits and you simply are not able to manage your pool the way TFP teaches without that test.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.