FC consumed, but no CC

May 22, 2015
Chalfont, PA
Hello all - seeking guidance on chlorine levels :)

Just opened my pool - 38k gallon, solid cover, water clear without green tint, 51 degrees on average, CYA @ 30ppm

Dropped in liquid chlorine to get to ~4ppm at noon yesterday; ended up at 1.8ppm FC and 0.2ppm CC at sun down; then 0.2ppm FC and 0.2ppm CC at dawn.

Question #1 - if the pool was “dirty” shouldn’t CC increase as FC is consumed? Otherwise, should I be assuming that the FC is getting consumed by the sun?

Feel free to blast away at my understanding - I know it’s limited!

Definitely agree that CC should be zero. More trying to confirm if consumed FC creates (if only temporarily) CC. If it does, then I can infer that when FC is being consumed and CC increases that the FC is creating CC and the pool should be getting cleaner. That said, if the FC is consumed and the CC is constant and low, that the pool is effectively already clean and that the FC is evaporating into the air vs reacting with contaminants.

In this application, 0.2CC tells me that my pool is a little dirty, but i’m trying to figure out where “the rest” of the FC is going - if that makes sense at all

Trying to correlate CC to how clean your pool is will not work. CC's are quite volatile.

FC does not evaporate into the air. It is either consumed by UV or organics.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.