FC and the sun

Jonesy

Jun 10, 2018
Huntsville, AL
Ok, getting in the swing of things, loving our TFP, but I think I have been wasting chlorine unnecessarily.

CYA 40
FC 6.5
CC 0
PH 7.5
TA 130
CH 150

So from everything I have read, I should expect to lose some FC to the sun, or at least that is my interpretation. However, if the FC is matching to the CYA level, shouldn’t that loss be very minimal (< 1)? I’ve been bumping my FC level up to 8-9 at night to “anticipate” losing FC the next day, yet every evening, I’m right back at that 6.5, which is midrange where I should be based on CYA.

Am I adding FC unnecessarily?

I didn’t bring my FC up to 9 last night (it was at 6.5), just tested again this morning and I’m still at 6.5. Going to test later today to see if it is stable at 6.5. Could it be I’ve found “the” number for my pool/CYA level?

Thanks, just wrapping my head around it all - any thoughts are appreciated!

The normal loss for a pool in the height of summer is around 2-4 FC. The higher above the recommended target range the higher the loss to the sun will be in percentage terms.

The higher the CYA, the less of a loss of FC to the sun. However then you need to run a higher FC to ensure you have enough as per the FC/CYA chart.

Test your FC early this afternoon. I would hate for you to drop below minimum FC for your CYA.

- - - Updated - - -

What you are doing as described in your post above is exactly how a pool FC should be run. Add each day enough chlorine to make up for the loss the next day.

Thanks, don’t worry, I plan to retest in a few hours - our pool is in direct sunlight all day. I definitely do not want to drop below minimum FC levels.
Guess I’m worried about nothing, just trying to find my pool’s “happy place”, preferably sparkling, with us in it!

Your routine is perfect- always good to keep on the higher end and allow for the drop in FC.

If you really go overboard on the FC beyond the target you will be end up losing a significant amount.

That’s what I’m thinking, I was shooting for 9, expecting a loss of 2-4, and landing at 6.5, daily. Not trying to pinch pennies or anything, just aiming for what is best for the pool while not wasting chemicals unnecessarily. If shooting for 7 keeps me within 5-7 all day, that’s chlorine saved. I do intentionally shoot for a little higher FC though when we will have company over the next day, just in case.

Edit, and thanks!

Sounds like a well maintained TFP to me. If you have a little concern after a real heavy usage day, just give it a quick test later in the day. I wouldn't fret anything above 4. If close to that, just give it a couple ounce boost of chlorine before turning in for the night. Enjoy !!!

So I forgot to test around lunchtime, we were floating around, enjoying a sunny Alabama day.

Just tested my FC....twice....6 both times. I lost .5 all day. Even rechecked my CYA just to be extra sure, still dead on 40.

I guess I’m doing it right, loving this TFP!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.