FC 0.5, CC 0.5, CYA 0, pool green

I bought 1 pound of cal hypo at 73% for $5 from the pool store back in April. Adds 10 FC to my pool.

One gallon of 10% from Walmart adds 12 FC and is $4

No brainer in my situation. I will say that I won’t make a special trip to Walmart just for the pool essentials. It is 30 min out of my way, so unless I’m grocery shopping, I just stop at the local store for 6% which adds 7.3 FC for $3 and some change.

One lb of your cal hypo adds 2.1 ppm FC to your pool.
It takes 80 ounces of 10% liquid chlorine to add the same FC.

Depending on what you pay for liquid chlorine, you can do the math. Typically is close to a wash.
Yes, close to a wash b/w the LQ and CH. Bleach might be a BIT cheaper, but only if found at rock bottom prices at the dollar store.
So you think I could get this? Is it a good price?

That's fine. Same thing sold at Walmart for a few pennies less in most places.
Not sure what kind of places you have nearby. Some folks in your area talk about Ocean States Job Lots.

That's fine. Same thing sold at Walmart for a few pennies less in most places.
Not sure what kind of places you have nearby. Some folks in your area talk about Ocean States Job Lots.
I'll drive over to Lowe's and get it when I run out of the hypo. I think it's down to "what's close enough" at this point. Nearest OSJL is twice as far away as Lowe's so not worth it I think.

Don't walk about the pool pouring muriatic acid in, just find the strongest return working and pour in a very thin stream into the flow of water. It will help dilute it and mix it quickly. I always brush the area of the pool immediately also, just to be safe. Stand upwind from it.

Maddie :flower:

Found some bleach in a store that's unlabeled, so I assume 5.25%, but still better than Lowe's. Haven't seen any 5 gal jugs at 12.5%. Where would you get those?

I put the last line in for ship of fool's item for comparison purposes, which I have not seen myself unfortunately.

This mornings testing:
pH: 7.2
FC: 11
CC: 1
CYA: 25

Maybe I was off on the CYA additions yesterday. Despite using the sock method, it was still a bit low this morning, so I added the other half of that 5-pounder. Should get it to between 30 and 40.

CYA can take a day or two in your system before it registers on the test.

12.5% is typically labeled as “liquid shock” and sold by many pool stores and some hardware stores.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Have you tested your CH? Cal hypo is fine to use as long as you understand and manage the addition of calcium.

CYA can take a day or two in your system before it registers on the test.
Well, I guess the worst that can happen is I'll hit 40, which is still in the ideal range, and then I'll lose it to backwashes, getting closer to 30.
12.5% is typically labeled as “liquid shock” and sold by many pool stores and some hardware stores.
Hmm. The three hardware stores I have around here are HD, Lowe's, and Ace and the closest thing to cheap liquid chlorine I found was that 1 gal bottle I linked to from Lowe's. And it's only 10%.

Have you tested your CH? Cal hypo is fine to use as long as you understand and manage the addition of calcium.

I tested the CH yesterday. See results a few posts above. I'll probably stop getting the Cal Hypo and stick to Sodium Hypochlorite and bleach once I use up the dry shock. What are the risks of high calcium?

CH of 200 is a bit low for a gunite pool. It would not hurt to use cal hypo until that got to 250-300.

High calcium can lead to calcium scale. pH, TA, CH, and water temperature all play a part in that process.

So I looked at the calc and since I added 56% cal hypo x 6 lbs last night, that would have gotten me to 12 FC, meaning I lost 1 ppm over a period of 14 hours from 10PM to Noon. Tonight I'll test again and then pour in some of that mystery bleach and see what it measures tomorrow.

Last edited:
? I wish. I think mine was $2.50 or so. I swear, I can’t find anything cheaper than $3 within 30 miles of where I live. One day I’ll drive the extra 30 to get to Lowe’s or Home Depot to see what they have to offer.

Plan ahead on that drive and do an on-line order with store pick up for your chlorine. That way, it won't be a wasted trip, and if they don't normally have the pool chlorine in stock, they'll get it for you.

Reactions: Lemonred34

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.