Fat ole man

Welcome, you have found the gold mine for safe, efficient, DIY pool maintenance complete with no pesky advertisments. There are also many experts in all things pool related who are wiiling to advise those who need help. If that was not enough so many regulars here have years of practical experience and are happy to share and assist with problem solving.

Look into Pool School.
And check out these videos from TFP.

Reactions: Fabricgator
Hi and Welcome!!! Florida in the house!!!!

I have a little reading for you to do to get you started here at TFP:
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

That will teach you the pool language!

Kim:kim:
Thanks,
I already studied that. I'm doing OK, I thought...
I had high FC so I turned down the IC15 for a week(little/no change) and then turned it off for a week. Now I need to get the FC back up.
I'll figure it out eventually.

Cheers

Your iChlor 15 is smaller then we recommend for your size pool. We recommend a SWG cell be 2X the pool volume.

Best to raise your FC to your target using liquid chlorine. See FC/CYA Levels Then use your SWG to maintain that level. With a small SWG cell it may take a long time to raise your FC and expose your water to possible algae.

If your signature is correct about "Leslie testing" then you need to get your own TF-100 Test Kits or Taylor K-2006C if you intend to follow TFPC methods and get water chemistry advice here.

If your signature is correct about "Leslie testing" then you need to get your own TF-100 Test Kits or Taylor K-2006C if you intend to follow TFPC methods and get water chemistry advice here.
Thank you for your guidance ajw22, thank you all...

You mention requiring the TF100 or K-2006C test kits for continuing with TFPC methods and advice. You don't think Leslie Pool center can test my water accurately? I thought it was (I read somewhere) that it was advised to get a second opinion from a pool store to check that my maintenance and readings are accurate. no?

I'm sure it is in the pool store model to get me in the door and then sell me stuff....

Are you guys the borax, bleach and baking soda folks?

Are you guys the borax, bleach and baking soda folks?
We are the "use only what you need in your pool" folks. I do not use borax at all, almost never use baking soda, use chlorine all of the time.

Pool $tores- you are correct their model is to get you in the store and sell you a bunch of un-needed and over price stuff. Look in my siggy below for the recommenced chemicals.

We do NOT want you to compare your testing to the pool store testing as most of the time they get is wrong for many reasons-not done correctly, did not rinse the tube, was in a hurry, etc.

Reactions: bmoreswim
We know it seems counter-intuitive that your testing would be more accurate than a pool store, but it's true. Your testing will be consistent, performed by someone who is highly motivated to keep your pool clear/safe at the lowest cost, performed by someone who is not hurried to get to the next customer, performed by someone who is not concerned about making a sale to make their store manager happy, and so on.

The test kits we recommended are complete and have the industry standard Taylor branded reagents which are highly accurate within the tolerances required to maintain a clear and safe pool. So fear not, test yourself and save on chemical costs. And most importantly, do not compare your results to a pool store's. Resist the urge! If you have questions, we are ALWAYS here, practically 24/7, and regardless of worldwide pandemics, to answer your testing (and other pool) questions.

I've spent the last hours comparing the FAS/DPD testing to my cheapo 5 drop inflatable pool test kit.
I'll get a real test kit.... thanks.

We have PinchApenny and Leslie here. I noted what you said as the first sample results varied a bit between the two store 'professional' test only mere minutes apart. I'm a bit of a scientist, so I watched their techniques and found them lacking. But the one guy does appear to try real hard to do it right.

QUESTION; How long is the shelf life of the liquid chlorine I am going to buy for covid19 cleaning?
I know to keep it out of the sun, is my shed dark enough?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've not seen people use one. If it's just a normal gallon jug, it is relatively easy to pour it without splashing by creating a slow stream coming out, which can get slightly faster with less volume in the container and easier air exchange. Honestly though, some seem to be less skilled at that task...those discussing white spots on their clothes specifically.

Some lower the jug into the water and pour just above water level, etc.

My yellow jub is 2.5 gals. When it is all the way full I have to go slower but it is very doable for me. I do rest it on the edge of the pool and tip is slowly in the the measuring cup.

Lets talk some more about chemical storage. Muriatic acid is the most important one to really think about. It does not care about heat or sun so that is not an issue. It DOES vent it's fumes out and those fumes can cause rust on metal and put a film on everything around it. It is best to store it outside away from everything especially chlorine. They do NOT play well together at all!! If you have any kids that might "help" with pool stuff you also have to think about how to keep them from getting their hands on it. Some people get a plastic storage cabinet just for the m.a. @Dirk put a plastic "chain" his and locked it that way.

Pool $tore testing-I took my water to our three pool stores in town. 2 started with the same letter and the other one started with another letter. The results ranged from $50 to $125 to "fix" my water which I told them looked great! The results were all over the place. So yeah..........we don't trust them.

Kim:kim: