Gold Supporter
Jun 13, 2018
Media, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I had a question about the FAS - DPD test. I like to use it to spot check my chlorine levels but want to save on expensive reagent. If I want to do a test with 1 drop reagent = 1ppm Cl, should I be using a 5ml sample or should I be using 5ml pool water diluted with 5ml distilled H2O? I am only looking for accuracy in the range of +- 1ppm. Thanks!

I think doing it either way would yield the same amount of reagent used. Using a 10ml sample would be 1 drop reagent x .5 = FC ppm. So using a sample of 5ml would be 1 drop reagent x 1 = FC ppm. Using a 10ml sample of 5ml pool water and 5ml distilled water would still be 1 drop reagent x 1 = FC ppm. If your test tube has a 5ml mark, or you can accurately measure 5ml of pool fluid, you might as well do that and avoid any dilution.

I had a question about the FAS - DPD test. I like to use it to spot check my chlorine levels but want to save on expensive reagent. If I want to do a test with 1 drop reagent = 1ppm Cl, should I be using a 5ml sample or should I be using 5ml pool water diluted with 5ml distilled H2O? I am only looking for accuracy in the range of +- 1ppm. Thanks!
Rather than that, why not just use the original DPD color match test that came with the Leslie 81-330 test kit?

Anytime you do a diluted test you introduce additional error into the calculation.

That test is even less accurate.. only to 2.5 ppm. I am just trying to get a good handle on how much FC loss I am getting per day so I will know how much bleach I am going to need for the summer, and how long I can go before re-dosing the pool. +-1ppm accuracy is what I want. I am keeping my CYA at 40 so my target level is 5-7. The DPD color match won't tell me if I'm at 5 or at 7. The color bands just jump from 5-7.5. I can kind of eyeball and estimate that it's in between those two numbers but there is no way to know if its closer to 5.25 or 7. I just want to get close enough while using as little of the expensive reagent as possible. Thus, the dilution question. It's possible that over the summer we may have someone house sitting for us for a few days here and there, and I want to be able to estimate how much chlorine per day they will need to add without having to train them in how to perform the test, like "Every other day while we are gone, dump in 20 oz of bleach"

That test is even less accurate.. only to 2.5 ppm. I am just trying to get a good handle on how much FC loss I am getting per day so I will know how much bleach I am going to need for the summer, and how long I can go before re-dosing the pool. +-1ppm accuracy is what I want. I am keeping my CYA at 40 so my target level is 5-7. The DPD color match won't tell me if I'm at 5 or at 7. The color bands just jump from 5-7.5. I can kind of eyeball and estimate that it's in between those two numbers but there is no way to know if its closer to 5.25 or 7. I just want to get close enough while using as little of the expensive reagent as possible. Thus, the dilution question. It's possible that over the summer we may have someone house sitting for us and I want to be able to estimate how much chlorine per day they will need to add without having to train them in how to perform the test, like "Every other day while we are gone, dump in 20 oz of bleach"
Then just stick with the FAS/DPD test and don't dilute it.

I agree that is certainly the most accurate option, but it will result in using twice as much reagent to get the accuracy that I am looking for. Thanks for the recommendation!

vinmazz - You were spot on buddy! Did the test with 5ml and again with 10ml and I got 8 ppm both times. Just have to measure the 5ml carefully and it only takes one spoonful of indicator. You just saved me a bunch of money. Cheers!

vinmazz - You were spot on buddy! Did the test with 5ml and again with 10ml and I got 8 ppm both times. Just have to measure the 5ml carefully and it only takes one spoonful of indicator. You just saved me a bunch of money. Cheers!
You can actually use one spoonful with all three volumes. As a matter of fact, the instructions for the
TF100 test kit say to use one "heaping" spoonful. Next time you test, use one spoonful and 10ml.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.