FAS-DPD question

I like to look for a couple extra grains swirling around because if you use too much, the extra doesn't dissolve.

I want enough extra to see a little, but not mud on the bottom. Then repeat that amount however your brain got you there. For me it's most of a heaping scoop. Maybe to you it's 3/4 of a snowball. Or your natural kinda level scoop.

So let me clarify, I use solely the TF-100 and one of the following scenarios are what I'm working with. Either it's opening a winterized pool so no chlorine means non lasted all winter as many time there's a trace left or it's a pool I'm on top of so over chlorination isn't ever something I ever had as usually it's where did the chlorine go :brickwall: kind of thing but a new customer in the middle of a season I may try the second scoop if it didn't turn pink but honestly it never happened yet.

Duraleigh hit the nail with his summary.

Don't forget that you are not anyone, you know what you are doing and usually know the history of a pool. And you go through a lot of reagents and can usually rule out reagents going off.

But as you said, with a new customer it may look different. The OTO test is also a good sanity check in cases like that.

Reactions: PoolAdmiral
1 and 2 scoops and seeing if they got the same result with both test samples? I have not. But will today. Will report back.
It doesn't quite work like that. The scoop size is not critical. There is more than one factor at play but the goal is to turn the solution pink,,,,,,,,not add a certain amount of powder.

Same result, I've tried it before.
I can concur of the near same result.
- The test with one scoop, I had to drop 6 drops to make it completely clear. Although at 5 drops it had the lightest amount of pinkish hue. I almost left it at 5 drops and called it good.
- The test with 2 scoops, it was 5 drops to make it clear.

For reference, I was precise in having the same 10ml amount in the test tubes and also using a level scoop instead of the heaping scoop. The result was so similar that I can attest to the one scoop theory being accurate.

I can concur of the near same result.
- The test with one scoop, I had to drop 6 drops to make it completely clear. Although at 5 drops it had the lightest amount of pinkish hue. I almost left it at 5 drops and called it good.
- The test with 2 scoops, it was 5 drops to make it clear.

For reference, I was precise in having the same 10ml amount in the test tubes and also using a level scoop instead of the heaping scoop. The result was so similar that I can attest to the one scoop theory being accurate.
5 droplets or 6 is essentially the same outcome with +/- error tolerance. The slight difference in water level and droplet size will cause just that.

Reactions: PoolAdmiral
This measurement question reminds me of when I first did this test and I thought to myself that the tiny baby scoop was probably the handle so I used the other side for a good helping of the powder. Lol. I can laugh about it now, but I was certain to run out of powder in 2 tries otherwise.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The directions I was given indicated “heaping scoop” “big scoop” or something similar so I was following directions 😏

Reactions: Newdude