Gold Supporter
Jun 30, 2022
Tucson AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My husband and I have a second home in Tucson which we bought 3 years ago. We have a pool service handling the care of the pool as we have never had a pool and we did not live at this residence full time. We have had relatively poor service over the past year. We are uncertain if the pool guy comes weekly. (Doubtful that he shows up weekly). We had our pool resurfaced last fall and the chemical guy referred us to your website. Our pool is 20,000- 25,000 gallons. Our plan is to learn enough to maintain the pool ourselves instead of relying on questionable service once we are at this house for longer periods of time. I have browsed through the website a bit but plan on taking all the classes, so I become proficient in maintaining the pool. We also are considering a cover for the pool when we are not in residence. I am excited to learn a lot and I understand that the people here are very helpful.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: You are right to take control of your pool, not only to save a few bucks, but more importantly water testing is easy and you know it will be correct when you're done with it. Be sure to start at our Pool Care Basics page and get yourself a TF-100 test kit (link in my signature). The Taylor K-2006C is a viable option, but (IMO) the TF-100 is a better buy. Just be sure to use one of them. We'll be here to help.

Welcome to TFP! :)

There's a very do-able learning curve ahead for you. It takes a few weeks or so to get comfortable with it all. Good decision by the way!

It might be worthwhile to be ready ahead of your next visit arrival time, and have test kit in hand.

Entering a signature here (which can be expanded as you learn more) is also helpful.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: You are right to take control of your pool, not only to save a few bucks, but more importantly water testing is easy and you know it will be correct when you're done with it. Be sure to start at our Pool Care Basics page and get yourself a TF-100 test kit (link in my signature). The Taylor K-2006C is a viable option, but (IMO) the TF-100 is a better buy. Just be sure to use one of them. We'll be here to help.
Thank you for your prompt welcome and the information about the test kits. I could not remember where to find that information and now I have a link. I plan to order the TF-100 and have it sent to the house. Our son will be there for the next month and hopefully he will be keeping a close eye on it.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thank you for the information. I read the TFPC for beginners. I will add more information about our pool when I get back to Tucson. We are in Washington state right now. I am not sure I understand how to enter a signature. I have added the PoolMath app to my phone and I am ordering the test kit for our son to use while he is housesitting, and I have suggested he take the pool school class as well. Thanks again.

There's one test that you'll read about, for CYA (aka cyanuric acid, aka stabiliser). Most kits contain rather fewer potential tests for CYA than for other things. You might find it helpful to plan those out. For example, the first time you do it, if you're like most of us, you'll barely trust the result and do it again. You'll need one test near the beginning of your journey, and potentially a couple more times as you get comfortable. If your CYA happens to be high, you could easily need three or four tests early on.

My point is, use the CYA test wisely and don't "practice" too much with that one. We can help you interpret what you see.