Napa
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to pool maintance but looking to try and learn from everyone here and to try and avoid getting scammed by local pool store. I've been on the site before from googling issues that came up but really would like to deepen my knowledge.

The pool is a 22,000 gallon salt water pool in Napa, CA. Its a second home so I don't always have eyes on it and its been kind of a pain to maintain from a distance and only being up there 2-3 weekends a month. Since I got the place the old salt water generator died and was replaced with a Pentair Intellichlor IC-40 about 2 years ago. I then upgraded to Pentair Intelliflo VSF pump (to save on electric bills from the old single speed pump) and also upgraded to Pentair Screen Logic/Easy Touch (for remote control) 1 year ago.

Most recently the WaterGuru device that the prior owner used crapped out (from 2019), and I was researching other automated testing systems only to discover that the general opinion of these, including Sutro or Pentairs Chem-Check). Previously I essentially used the water Guru device to keep daily tabs on the pools pH and free chlorine, adjusting the SWG remotely as needed, and adding acid periodically when I was on site. I also went to local pool store (Leslies) for periodic testing and help when I was opening pool for the season. I plan on getting a Taylor kit or TFP kit recommended here to perform more careful testing of the pool but I'm not sure what to do when I'm not on site as I'd still like to be able to see whats going on when I'm not around. I'm considering buying a replacment WaterGuru for this purpose but wonder if any other pool owners who aren't always around have ideas? Maybe I just need to hire a pool company to do it?

Hiring a pool company will just make your job harder to figure out what they messed up and fix it.

Knowing your pH remotely does nothing for you since you cannot add acid remotely.

There should be no need to adjust the SWG output % more then once every 4 weeks or so. When you leave the house always set the SWG % on the high side. That should ensure your pool gets enough chlorine until you return.

What FC and CYA level do you target?

Do you have cameras setup so you can see if your skimmers get low on water, your filter PSI gauge, your IntelliChlor LED lights for status, and your overall equipment pad for leaks?

Do you have someone who you can call to go over to the house if you see something broke that cannot wait until you get to the house?

Last edited:
Reactions: mknauss
Right now I do not have cameras setup. I do have a security system so could add another camera specifically for the purpose for keeping and eye on the equipment but may tricky getting both the filter PSI and ground in view simultaneously. I have a pool cover so would be hard to see the skimmer water level, but would I assume it would be unlikely to change much with it covered. There is a pool refill on a bouy that I leave off however as it one time stuck and overfilled the pool.

I target FC level of 3. CYA of 60 or higher but not entirely sure if that is alright. I only partial Sun due to large redwoods on the south side of pool and with cover so I usually just add a gallon in the beginning of season.

Consider a few inexpensive cameras to monitor your pool from Wyze or Blink.