Fair price for booster pump replacement?

squirk

Sep 9, 2016
Southeast Louisiana
After six years, the booster pump for my pressure-side pool vacuum has died. The pool maintenance people I use have quoted me a price of $550 to replace.

I don't have the specs on my existing pump handy, but I am just assuming for now that it is single-speed 3/4 hp. A quick search on Amazon suggests that most new pumps from the usual suspects cost around $275-$350 retail.

I'm assuming that my pool people are getting their pumps for less than that, but either way, it sounds like they are charging me at least $200 for labor and whatever other additional parts may be needed for an install.

Just generally speaking, is that a fair price? Even if it is high, is it "beyond the pale" high?

I have a nagging feeling I might be getting overcharged here. I have used these folks for years, but never for a major repair/replacement.

If that is a fair price, then I'm thinking that I will just make the switch to a robot and get a Dolphin S200.

Please and thank you.

Labor rates for a plumber by me are between $100 and $150 an hour if that helps. A ‘handyman’ gets $30 to $50.

Last edited:
Reactions: squirk
Squirk,

A rough estimate for install is twice the equipment cost. Your quote is in line with other's I've seen in our area. Important is to get details on your quote. Get brand and model so you know you're getting a major brand name or a much lower cost off-brand. Also, confirm this is a total pump replace or just a motor replace.

I don't have any experience with a robot but several of our experts rave about them. I'm sure they'll chime in on this option vs replace the pressure cleaner.

Chris

My 2 cents: Don't replaced the booster, ditch your pressure side cleaner and spend the money on a pool robot (I bought a Dolphin). 3 months ago I was in your exact spot. I purchased a new motor and replaced it myself (took about 2 hours and some basic hand tools) however I have mechanical experience so your mileage may vary. However, within a month after replacement, the Polaris 380 I had died. If yours is six years old, and your looking at $550 for a non-DIY motor replacement, you might want to consider the robot route.

• Love
Reactions: PoolGate and squirk
My 2 cents: Don't replaced the booster, ditch your pressure side cleaner and spend the money on a pool robot (I bought a Dolphin). 3 months ago I was in your exact spot. I purchased a new motor and replaced it myself (took about 2 hours and some basic hand tools) however I have mechanical experience so your mileage may vary. However, within a month after replacement, the Polaris 380 I had died. If yours is six years old, and your looking at $550 for a non-DIY motor replacement, you might want to consider the robot route.

Thanks. That's an excellent point - my Kreepy Krawly is six years old as well. I've replaced the bag a few times, as well as some tire treads and the backup valve, and it still works fine. But, yes, I would be bitter if I spent $550 on the booster replacement and then had to spend another $500 to replace the vacuum within the next year or two.

If you are somewhat handy, a motor replacement isn't that hard. I watched a few Youtube videos and some guides that took me through it step by step. The motor was $180, with Seal, O-ring, O-ring, Lubricant being another $40 - $50

Well, to your earlier point, though - even if I was able to swap out the pump myself, I'd still be out of pocket for at least $250. And if my KK died within a year (or in three months, as in your case), I'd feel obliged to stick with a pressure-side cleaner, because of the new booster I installed. So replacing it would be another $600 out of pocket. And at that point, I have spent more than I would have if I just bought the S200 today, right?

As you said, with a broken booster and an aging KK, maybe now is the time to make a clean break and go to the robot.

That was absolutely my point. Buy a S200 from Marina Pool and Spa (unless you can find a cheaper supplier, I wasn't able to) and save yourself all the hassle and headache. The S200 is way better at cleaning the pool than my Polaris ever was.

The phrase ‘now’s the time’ comes up a lot in my day to day life. And it hurts me every time in the short term, but 99 out of 100 times it pays dividends in the long run.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The phrase ‘now’s the time’ comes up a lot in my day to day life. And it hurts me every time in the short term, but 99 out of 100 times it pays dividends in the long run.

Absolutely.

It's really not painful to buy the Dolphin in itself. I just want to be smart about it.

If I knew the KK was going to last another 10 years, then I very well might just replace the booster. But I know that those odds are not on my side.

Reactions: Newdude
So here's an idea, Buy the Dolphin and sell the KK on craigslist/eBay to help offset the cost, even if it's only a little bit.

Make sure you ask them to change out the spring filters for the rough pre filter. Also, I'm pretty sure they all come with a swivel cord.

Attachments

• Maytronics Cleaner Comparisons.pdf
    415.4 KB · Views: 9
My local place has the Active 20 priced at $999. I always like to support my small local businesses, but not at a 43% markup on $700.

Marina’s, it is. ?

Love to help out my local guy as well. But to a point of course. My IC60 was $777 from some random pool store across the country or $1500 down the road. I figured I could buy a 2nd one and break even if the first one was junk.

And actually it would have been cheaper from the internet with no tax.

Did you accept her quote? I had my pool for 4 years with a booster and pressure side cleaner. I was NEVER satisfied or happy with the level of cleanliness it provided in my pool. I sold the cleaner, couldn't even give away the Hayward booster pump and bought an Active 20 (same as the S200). Night and day difference in my pool. The very fine debris was never captured by my KK Legend.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.