Failed Winter "Cover" Pump - Simple Replacement?

Jul 25, 2012
Basking Ridge, NJ
Hi All!

It's that time of year in NJ when we have closed pools and (this year) cover pumps hard at work diverting all of that rain water away from our pools. After the last bout of rain, I did a check on the pump we've been using for the past few years to keep the top inches of water below the skimmer line (we just place it on the top step and put the cover right over it) and found it dead (very very dead) along with about 6-8" of water that should have been pumped off. So my question for anyone is: can I get another replacement, like the link below, and let it pump off all of that water or is that a good way to ruin a brand new pump that's not meant for that type of stress? I really don't want to have to spend more money on a waste/utility pump for a one time use situation.

As always, thanks to the best in the community!!

Old Pump: Rule Pool Cover Pump w/ Leaf Protector - H53SP-24 - INYOPools.com
Possible Replacement: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Wayne-1-4-HP-Auto-On-Off-Pool-Cover-Water-Removal-Pump-WAPC250/203544786

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.