Faded Liner

Not sufficient....replacing my liner was one thing, but I'm still out $2000 in labour to remove/install + water + chemicals!!

They don't cover anything but the liner itself.

I don't want to go thru this again re inconvenience AND $$$.

I really think that their question about a cover was because they thought that with an SWG this had the chlorine level get too high. However, you adjusted your SWG to account for the lower loss from sunlight and measured the FC and CYA and they were reasonable. Plus, we have thousands of vinyl pool owners with colored liners that don't get this sort of fading problem. So it really does seem to be related to the poor quality of the liner dye.

I presume your pH was reasonable and given the SWG it was likely on the high side if anything.

I also assume you don't have anything else in the water except for salt for the SWG. Your Calcium Hardness (CH) level is probably low since you don't need that higher for vinyl and your Total Alkalinity (TA) was probably 70-80 ppm to minimize the rate of pH rise. You didn't mention borates so I presume you didn't use those. I just don't see anything unusual about your pool unless you added some sort of strange chemical like an enzyme that reacted with the dye.

You know, I did put some type of enzymatic clarifier once (don't recall brand, but I do recall something about enzyme on label)...I think I let the chlorine get too low, got some algae and particulate in the pool, someone at pool store mentioned using it.

But this was added after pool fading had already started...could that have accelerated or really reacted with the ink?

You're obviously not going to believe that it was just a defective liner so I suggest that you never cover it and never add any chlorine to the pool. That way it can't possibly fade. Ok I was being sarcastic! I'll go ahead and appologize for that. :whip:

We have tons of people that have astronomically high FC and a lot that put all sort of stuff in their pools and we rarely hear of a new liner fading. It takes some real chemical abuse for a long time to get that.

Just accept the fact that it was a defective liner, maintain your pool properly and move on. Or not!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.