Facts Hard to Come by on SWG vs. Directly Chlorinated Pools

mguzzy

Gold Supporter
I switched from sw to chlorine. I got sw because it was sold as no maintenance. Pool is 50000 gallon plaster . pH was a major problem for me. Chronic pH of 8.5 to 9. A gallon of acid a day. I finally ignored the high pH and developed a coral reef which I recently polished down. pH still trends high, a gallon a week. Would try salt water and test yourself with a colorimeter. If you start getting difficult to manage chemistries, convert to chlorine. You would be out the cost of the sw generator, and a refill.
Huh? A SWG pool IS a chlorine pool.. they are one and the same. The only difference is the method by which the chlorine is supplied to the pool. I agree with the 'cowboy.. sounds like your TA was high.

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
William,

Your problem is that you were never shown how to operate a saltwater pool.. The idea that they require no maintenance is just not true. I also suspect that your cell was way undersized for your large pool... Salt cells do not increase the pools pH.. Most people think this because they switch from pucks to a SWCG.. Pucks have a huge amount of acid in them.. When you no longer use pucks, you no longer have that acid being added all the time. Your fill water TA has a lot more to do with your pH problem than a having a SWCG.

In any case, as long as your are happy with your decision, then I am glad for you.

A good analogy is that I can't ride a horse, but that does not make it the horse's fault.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.