Facts Hard to Come by on SWG vs. Directly Chlorinated Pools

I switched from sw to chlorine. I got sw because it was sold as no maintenance. Pool is 50000 gallon plaster . pH was a major problem for me. Chronic pH of 8.5 to 9. A gallon of acid a day. I finally ignored the high pH and developed a coral reef which I recently polished down. pH still trends high, a gallon a week. Would try salt water and test yourself with a colorimeter. If you start getting difficult to manage chemistries, convert to chlorine. You would be out the cost of the sw generator, and a refill.
Huh? A SWG pool IS a chlorine pool.. they are one and the same. The only difference is the method by which the chlorine is supplied to the pool. I agree with the 'cowboy.. sounds like your TA was high.

William,

Your problem is that you were never shown how to operate a saltwater pool.. The idea that they require no maintenance is just not true. I also suspect that your cell was way undersized for your large pool... Salt cells do not increase the pools pH.. Most people think this because they switch from pucks to a SWCG.. Pucks have a huge amount of acid in them.. When you no longer use pucks, you no longer have that acid being added all the time. Your fill water TA has a lot more to do with your pH problem than a having a SWCG.

In any case, as long as your are happy with your decision, then I am glad for you.

A good analogy is that I can't ride a horse, but that does not make it the horse's fault.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi. Longtime lurker and user of the TFP method on my 45-year old, directly chlorinated pool. I bought the house 3.5 years ago and I'm looking to resurface, replumb, and update the hardware. I'm in coastal Southern California and I had always assumed that I would go SWG, but what the local pool builders have told me has caused me to re-think that.

I've had 6 bids and they came in with 3 who said they will only install SWG pools and the other 3 said they will do either but they highly recommend direct chlorine via liquid or pucks. I am planning to use a pool service, at least to start, but I might pick it back up down the road. The builder I like the best and who seemed to be the most knowledgeable (he was the owner of a 25-year pool builder) said he'll do a SWG if I twisted his arm, but he'd rather not. He said he used to do them extensively in 2005-2012, but that many of those systems either rotted out due to metal fatigue from poor maintenance or the owners chose to switch to directly chlorinated due to various reasons. He does not directly service pools or sell maintenance materials, so that's what made me start to believe him. His main reasoning was that, according to him, there were 80+ pool guys in the area that he could recommend that would do a great job keeping our pool clean with direct chlorine methods, but only 6-7 who could do a great job at maintaining a SWG pool and they are all fully-booked all of the time. He said if they work on a neighbor's pool, they might squeeze us in, but otherwise we'd have to go with someone who doesn't do a great job at adequately maintaining the pH levels with muriatic acid and that will lead to corrosion.

He also gave me some other reasons that seem to pan out by Googling: SWG pools start with an already high dissolved solids number that make balancing difficult, chronically high pH, instead of dumping liquid chlorine I may be dumping the same amount of muriatic acid weekly, pool decking may not last as long, SWGs rarely last more than 3 years, and pool equipment will last 30-50% less time. His only gripe about directly-chlorinated was high CYA levels from pucks. I asked about the salt water feel on your skin and he said from his experience only some people with sensitive skin will notice it, but that's really more about a well-cared for pool than salt vs. direct chlorine.

Here are some facts I've gathered about my area: We apparently have some of the hardest water in the country at ~245ppm on average. Pools are year-round here, but the water temp in January can reach 55F even with a spa used occasionally. Around 2010, pools in my area were being built 90% SWG and 10% direct chlorine. Now, per all of the builders it's about 60% SWG and 40% direct chlorine. Water is very expensive here, as is electricity. Partial dumps and refills are highly frowned upon during droughts, which are pretty much always here. Few trees, high sun.

Sorry for going on so long, but after searching this site and most of the Internet it seems like people are in 1 of 2 camps: pro-SWG and it's a personal preference. No one really seems to be "always direct chlorination," but some are "never SWG." This makes it really hard to make a decision since it seems like everyone has their own opinions, but facts are hard to come by. I'm really more concerned about the water quality on skin and the longevity of the pool and equipment. I figure the maintenance costs will even out otherwise.

Has anyone here every had both or converted from one to the other so they can offer some direct experience between the water feel between the 2 and the maintenance?
I converted to swg about 5 years ago and other than the current swg shortage I've loved it. I'm not an expert or even that knowledgable about equipment...but I know that I rarely have to make any adjustments once I open the pool. I doubt I even tested it more than once or twice last year. I had beautiful crystal clear water without doing a thing all season. I'm in GA btw.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.