Jun 10, 2017
Texarkana,AR
I've went back and read about all of the negatives of ez but still have some questions. I really like the convenience of being able to add a few scoops and chlorine tabs weekly. Our pool store recommended keeping the tab floater full of tablets. Having said that, why should I give up this convenience? Are the tablets not enough to properly sanitize if everything else is in balance?

18x33 Oval AG 15,000 Gal Vinyl Sand Filter 1.5 hp pump Installed 6/2017

The tablets add cya. The cya builds up. Then you don't keep your FC high enough and algae starts and you have to drain the pool to lower your cya and then follow the SLAM process. Then repeat the cycle.

Almost all tablets are made of trichlor which will add cya. Some Shock powders like dichlor or also trichlor add cya as well. Or most of us just add cya directly that is sold as a stabilizer. We had enough to get the cya to the desired level and then use liquid chlorine to maintain adequate FC for our cya levels.

Showing my ignorance, I have no idea off the top of my head what the EZ pool magic powder actually is.

It is fine if you want to stain your liner and have blonde hair turn green. While copper does lessen the likelihood of algae, the problem with that is there's no visible sign that your pool is out of balance. Which means you could have bacteria and viruses living in the water due to not enough chlorine which are not impacted by the copper, which can be dangerous.

A quick search of the forum for copper will yield many many many threads explaining some of the problems. There is also an article that I think is linked in pool school called the truth about chlorine alternatives or something like that

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Copper is an algaecide and nothing else. It does nothing to sanitize your pool, just keeps algae at bay at high enough levels. Problem is that at the levels where it is an effective algaecide is also right about where it starts causing staining on pool surfaces and turning blonde and white hair green. And like CYA the only reliable way to remove copper is to replace water.

There are a lot of simple and 'convenient' systems on the market for pools. But when you get down to it they always come with a gotcha. Whether buying more potions to fix problems later, or draining water, or what have you all of these systems end up causing headaches of their own and usually lead to lost swimming time. TFPC might seem like more work on the surface, but it is a simple routine that keeps things crystal clear and sanitary all the time. Richard320 has a saying, "A pool is like your teeth. A few minutes of care daily can save hours of expensive pain and misery down the road."

It's a mixture of the following:
1) Potassium persulfate (potassium peroxydisulfate)
2) Sodium bisulfate
3) Ammonium chloride
4) Calcium chloride
5) Sodium Bicarbonate
6) Aluminum chloride (possibly Aluminum chlorohydrate, which is what is in HTH Green to Blue).
7) Copper sulfate

I was given EZ Pool by my pool builder when it was first completed. It does make it sound like it makes pool care easy, but there is no need for it at all. I switched off of it after a few months, as soon as I found this website. If you read through pool school, they walk you through everything. And, if there are ever any questions, there is a ton of great and accurate information here! Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.