Eye irritation

Hootie

Jul 25, 2018
Medford, NJ
We just had a pool party and a lot of kids, and adults including myself, noticed a significant amount of eye irritation that I don't recall ever having before. Test results are from Taylor k2006.
FC 5.5
CC 0
pH 7.6
TA 70
CH 120
CYA 60
Salt 3000
84 degree water temp

Pool is clear and looks fantastic. Any ideas what could be causing the sudden eye irritation? We did get dumped on with rain a week ago at around 6" of rain in 48hrs. I pumped to waste to lower, forgot about it and ran out to bottom of skimmers. Then filled with public water. I added some salt to adjust but the numbers above are 24hrs after recovering from the rain. Would rain cause irritation?
I typically always measure zero CC. Oddly the pH this year has be Rick solid at 7.6 after opening it. Last year I was adding muriatic acid weekly to keep pH down, but this year my TA is lower and correct as well.

Eye irritation is typically tied to pH out of range or high CC. You may not see the CC on a test, it may just be from lots of organics being added to the pool and burned off by the sun. Did you test FC after the party?

It was FC 6 the night before. I did not test after. The following day (today) I measured 5.5. SWG running it's usual 60% duty cycle. I don't think FC would drop drastically and immediately be replaced by 3hrs of SWG run time though...maybe?
Since my pH has been uncharacteristically rock solid I tried tap water and got 7.6. Then added a bit if vinegar which drove it way down. Reagents aren't expired and seem to be working...

So the CC was cleared out by sun before I tested it again the day after?
I would accept that as the answer except one thing. My 3 kids went swimming the day before the party when FC was 6. Only 1 of them had red eyes and she complained a lot that they hurt. Typically all the kids are fine, no red eyes. This was before a lot of ppl were in and nobody swam for about four days prior to that. Is it possible my pH reagent is messed up? I bought the kit last summer and it expires 12/2019

Not likely your pH reagent is the issue.

Be sure the kids do not rub their eyes. That is the number one cause of red eyes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.