Extremely high TA but can’t get pH up?

2thdoc1

Sep 14, 2020
Kalamazoo, MI
Hello! Our pool was just completed in mid- August. Fill well water has CH of 350, TA of 350, and pH of 7.8. See details of our system in my signature.
We’ve only just taken over pool care from the PB about 2 weeks ago, so I’m not sure what chemicals were added up to that point. Initially, TA was 330 when I first tested. We have been adding MA and aerating. Two days ago I took pH down to 7.0 from 7.4 which lowered TA from 250 to 220. Trying to aerate the last couple days (pointed jets up with pump running 24/7, plus kids doing cannon balls into the pool for a couple hours!). SWG is running at 30%. Unfortunately pH is still 7.0 at tonight’s testing. Any suggestions? Most recent test results below:
FC: 6.6
CC: 0.4
CYA: 80
pH: 7.0
TA: 220
CH: 400
CSI: -0.19
Temp: 86

With a FG pool the high TA may cause scale buildup in your SWG. Otherwise it is not an immediate problem.

Your pH should rise over time and your TA will come down as you lower the pH. Just be patient. It will take a while.

What is the pH and TA of your fill water?

You have an autofill?

Reactions: tim5055
We will have an auto fill but it is not hooked up yet- have been topping off with the hose as needed. Fill water is 7.8 pH and 350 TA. Unfortunately our swim season here in Michigan will be coming to a close in the next couple weeks. Hoping to get things lowered as much as possible before having to winterize. Thanks for the reply!

With 350 TA fill water it will be a losing battle. Do the best you can.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.