Extended Test Kit Directions

Status
Not open for further replies.
That small clear swirl at the end of the CH test that takes forever to go away. Is that an end point problem? Notice it sometimes. color would change to blue say at 300 but there's a little clear swirl in the middle that won't go away until I hit 400.

I'm guessing as soon as the color changes to a blue that's my real reading? 300? I'm going to start using my speed swirl again. just need batteries..

Thank you for this information! I have bookmarked and will certainly use it frequently!

I have a question about readings with old testing chemicals. Will FC test very high with old testing agents? I did order a refill for my TF-100 kit, but in the meantime, I'm just curious if the extremely high readings I'm getting are because of old chemicals.

Thanks again for your helpfulness. It is much appreciated. :mrgreen:

I once found pictures of doing a CYA test showing start, middle, and end of test, which made demonstrations easier for the dozens of pool testing volunteers I deal with (don't ask...).

I could personally really use pictures in the same vein of a CH test, especially of the fading endpoint. My samples take a long time to turn from red to blue, and usually go purple (with blue floaties) in between. I have a hard time knowing when to stop. I can get a color that looks blue, but more drops make it more blue. If I keep going until the color stops changing, I get readings over 400ppm, vs the pool store's tests (using BioGuard lab) at about 230. Even a lowly strip says I'm in the 200-300 range.

Click on "Pool / Spa" on the left of the Taylor Technologies Online Demo and then select the "To Test Calcium Hardness" under the K-2006 test kit though the K-2005 is the same). Since you are getting a fading endpoint, I assume you are using the special instructions where you add some titrant drops first before adding buffer or indicator dye. Also, I suggest you get a SpeedStir if you do not already have one. Fast and thorough mixing makes the CH test much easier.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I remember a post about how to get more tests from the TFT100's CYA test if your CYA was over 40, but a google search did nothing for me. This is how to get more tests from the reagent, not about diluting your pool water when you are over 100. Dave rightly suggested posting it to the forum for posterity and I figure it belongs here.

Thanks!

Hey,

If you know IN ADVANCE that your CYA will be 45 or greater, you can mix up 1/2 the amount of solution you normally would.

Using the normal procedure, you make a 50/50 mix of 15ml (.5oz) pool water and 15ml R-0013 CYA reagent.

Knowing that you will not fill up the view tube past the 45ppm mark, simply mix 7.5/ml pool water with 7.5ml reagent and that's all you need.

You can use any amount that works for you and the test will still be valid as long as the mixture is 50/50. :lol: :lol:

Vinoveritas said:
I remember a post about how to get more tests from the TFT100's CYA test if your CYA was over 40, but a google search did nothing for me. This is how to get more tests from the reagent, not about diluting your pool water when you are over 100. Dave rightly suggested posting it to the forum for posterity and I figure it belongs here.

Thanks!

I believe you may be referring to these directions from a post on page 1:

"If your CYA level is 90 or higher, repeat the test adjusting the procedure as follows:
Fill the mixing bottle to the lower mark with pool water.
Continue filling the mixing bottle to the upper mark with tap water.
Shake briefly to mix.
Pour off half of the contents of the mixing bottle, so it is again filled to the lower mark.
Continue the test normally from step 3, but multiply the final result by two."

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.