Extended Summer Absence

lplatz

Jun 20, 2019
Royce City, Texas
Greetings... I have a family trip coming up that will have me away from my daily pool maintenance for up to 14 days. Through the knowledge of this site, my pool is balanced and looking beautiful. With this upcoming trip, I am looking to explore ideas on how best to set the pool up for a lengthy absence. I do not have anyone available to come and treat the pool based on completing daily water tests. I'm assuming I'm not the first to find themselves in this situation. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Reactions: Rich D
Welcome to the forum!
Your CYA (thank you for sharing your Poolmath data) of 40 ppm gives you a little room to use trichlor.

Fill your floater with tablets. I assume you will have your pump on a timer. Raise your FC to SLAM level before you go.

Any chance someone can add a couple gallons of liquid chlorine in once or twice while you are gone?

Thank you mknauss. SLAM makes sense (so I'll research what that will involve)... and then if I can find a person to add two gallons of liquid bleach say every 5 days, that would keep the pool from completely turning on me? I've never used liquid bleach before. Is this just regular dollar store bleach? I assume I'll need the pool running when I have the bleach added... yes? I saw somewhere that you can add liquid bleach directly into your skimmer, is that correct? Sorry for the question dump.

Most of the members on this forum either use liquid chlorine/plain beach added daily or have a SaltWater Chlorine Generator.

Be sure you get plain bleach or preferably liquid chlorine. It is normally 10% sodium hypochlorite. Available at Walmart, Home Depot, farm stores, etc.

Never add chemicals directly into the skimmer. Liquid chemicals should be added slowly at a pool return with the pump running. The pump should run for at least 30 minutes after adding chemicals.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.