Exploded DE FILTER cartridges/grids/elements

Coreyed

Jun 24, 2020
MA
The title of this thread demonstrates my confusion as to what these are actually called. Many pool stores identify them differently.

When we opened the pool (new pool owner), we took the Pentair Quad DE 60 lid off of the tank and found 4 cracked and swollen cartridges.
These
We purchased 4 new Pentair cartridges and I replaced them myself. We added DE to the skimmer and the pressure did not necessarily increase as significantly as the pool store said it would happen.
Air in the tank is constantly an issue. I must have a leak somewhere. I could turn the gauge on top to release air and there is always air in it somehow.
1 month later with the new cartridges, we notice the filter is not performing so well. I took the lid off the Quad DE 60 and all 4 cartridges are cracked again on the plastic and have holes in them near the cracks. When I took them out, I notice the DE is filled only on the bottom of the cartridges and some of it did not even get into the actual units.

Just had to order 4 new units, what are we doing wrong???

See pictures.
Thanks everyone.
IMG3.jpgIMG2.jpgIMG1.jpg

Here is the current plumbing. If I were to lift the slide valve for backwashing into the UP position, the water drains from the bottom piece.

Attachments

• IMG4.jpg
    IMG4.jpg
    712 KB · Views: 27
  • img5.jpg
    img5.jpg
    645 KB · Views: 28
Waste should be the top port and return to pool should be the bottom port.

Filter is handle up. Backwash is handle down.

I would get rid of the slide valve. You can't backwash the filter effectively anyway.

Put a 3-way valve between the pump and filter so that you can go to waste if you want to.

Reactions: Coreyed
Best i can tell, it shows your plumbing is backwards. The pipe from top of pump should enter the inlet on the filter directly which is the top of the 2 fittings. Not sure how the previous person plumbed them with a t fitting so water can go either direction. The outlet from the bottom fitting needs to go to pool return line.

I think it has something to do with that goofy looking slider/valve assembly. I didnt notice the handle on top at first. And yes. A normal style valve would eliminate the confusion. I am taking a guess but i thing something in that slide valve is going bad and the water flows incorrectly thru the filter.

A sand filter has two ports going into the filter like a DE filter has.

However, the top port of a sand filter is in at the top for filtering and out at the bottom port.

For a regular DE filter, the bottom port is in at the bottom port for filtering and out at the top port.

The in/out flow is reversed for sand vs. DE.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, if I were to remove the slide valve completely from the equation and plumb a pipe FROM the pump to the inlet (top port) and then a pipe from outlet (bottom port) TO the return line, everything should work as normal?
Should I get this?

Also, does anyone know what that capped PVC is for coming out of the ground. It is clearly visible in the image above labeled img5.jpg

I would get the multiport. That will give you the ability to backwash, recirculate (bypass the filter) or go to waste.

I would not usually backwash the filter as it really doesn't work well.

Just disassemble the filter and clean as needed.

I would get the multiport. That will give you the ability to backwash, recirculate (bypass the filter) or go to waste.

I would not usually backwash the filter as it really doesn't work well.

Just disassemble the filter and clean as needed.

Thanks again,
can you fill in the blank for this quiz:
bypassing the filter is good for times like ______________________________________________

I like the multiport concept. The one you sent on the other thread seems good ($150ish range) So your suggestion is to install that but disregard the backwash option as it is not actually as functional as it says?

If the water gets a lot of algae, it can help to bypass the filter until the algae is mostly killed by the chlorine.

Hopefully, that won't happen, but you never know.

You can backwash, but it's not very effective. Only about 1/2 of the DE comes off.

Waste can be helpful for draining.

bypassing the filter is good for times like _____________________________________________
When you have algae and the start of the SLAM is plugging your filter rapidly.
When you open your pool in the spring and have to SLAM.

Thanks again,
can you fill in the blank for this quiz:
bypassing the filter is good for times like ______________________________________________

I like the multiport concept. The one you sent on the other thread seems good ($150ish range) So your suggestion is to install that but disregard the backwash option as it is not actually as functional as it says?

Also, the previous installer plumbed things incorrectly. Are the side ports on this labeled to identify which
When you have algae and the start of the SLAM is plugging your filter rapidly.
When you open your pool in the spring and have to SLAM.

Awesome
You scored a 100

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.