Expensive screw for anchoring pool light

eegz

May 9, 2017
Los Altos, CA
The light can from my pool was good enough to list the screw anchoring it to the wall as part 791048.

Went to look for a replacement and people want $5-8 for a screw with a washer.
pool supply
inyo

The screw appears to be a stainless countersunk dog point pilot, maybe 24 thread.
Had to do a bit of research so might be wrong on the naming.

Can I just go grab this at the hardware store or is there something special that I'm missing?
Would a plain stainless 24 thread work if I just Dremel'd off the threads on the neck and tip?

Amazon has the screw for $4.84 if you are a Prime member. Worthwhile reading the comments on Amazon. It says it is a brass screw and "The bronze pilot screw is a key component to the grounding path for the light fixture. It is intended for the top center hole when replacing a light fixture in an existing niche."

There is another thread around here where that screw was discussed. It turns out that a stainless screw works better in the threads, and the brass screw is nothing more then a fail safe for the company not being sued in any way.

Thanks for the thread and Amazon links.
The label on my can actually says "Only use the stainless steel pilot screw (P/N 791048) provided with the light for mounting into wet niche).

Still uncomfortable with $4.84 for a screw, but maybe it will be worth the time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.