Expected cost of chemicals to maintain pool?

etuser

Mar 28, 2020
Houston
Hi - we recently purchased a house so now I am a first time pool owner. I have slowly been learning about pool. I now have a better grasp of my equipment and plumbing (still have more to learn though on these fronts).

Since we moved in, I have been using a pool service to maintain the pool for two reasons. Primarily, I had no idea what to do. Secondarily, I work a pretty rigorous schedule and not sure I could consistently commit the time to it. As I read more on this site, I am starting to think about what is involved with me taking it over myself.

Some questions:

1. For a 15k gallon pool in Houston, how much should I expect to pay annually for chlorine and other chemicals?

2. It seems that some are checking their pools and adding chemicals daily. Is that the norm? The pool service only comes once a week, so I am trying to reconcile that. And also figure out how much time I am really committing to.

3. What tools will I need to purchase to take this on myself? I know I will need a test kit, but will I need a vacuum (if so, recommendations?) or anything else?

I would like to start out slowly in terms of cost and time commitment to see how it goes.

Thanks in advance for input and advice!

Welcome to the forum! Great questions and congratulations on taking "back" your pool!

1. The cost of chemicals depends on how much you need but others on the forum has said they only pay ~$200 for the entire season.
The chemicals needed consist of: liquid chlorine, muriatic acid, cyanaric acid, baking soda, borax, calcium chloride. And you can get everything at the grocery and hardware store.

2. You will find it's not really difficult to take care of your own pool. It just takes a little time. One moderator has said "A pool is like a pet, you have to feed it everyday even if you don't want to play with it." :wave:

3. Some people use a hand held vacuum and some use robots. I'll let others speak to that issue. The recommended test kit is TF-100. TF-100 Test Kit ™ It has everything you need to easily test your water and stay away from the pool store.
You will also need a brush for cleaning/brushing the walls and bottom, hand held skimmer to skim stuff out of the pool when stuff falls in it.

As long as your pool stays sparkly clear and not green algae, you will have an easy time taking care of your pool.

• Love
Reactions: kimkats
I personally only have chlorine, borax (had to raise ph), DE Media, and TA rise (from last year). I only get chemicals as I need them except chlorine.
I started with my pool last year. I bought a brush two poles. A vacuum head to vacuum the pool. Then deep net (I had a tree that shed more
than a dog. The tree is gone now.) Also bought a solar cover.

As far as time spent it depends on the environment. Do you have trees, grass, plants, or flowers that shed into your pool. If you do that will
take time to care for it. Last year (before tree removed) I daily needed to clean up tree branches and leaves on my deck. I am down to once a
week. Storms add more time. To test and add chlorine is about 20 minutes. I do not have a schedule for testing or maintenance. I keep an eye
on the pool after storms for water levels and debris otherwise not much other time.

For last week I spent about 3 hours total including brushing, testing, and adding chlorine. When the weather warms up it my up keep will probably
add another hour or so.

I spent about $400.00 on pool items as noted above. This years costs are about $100.00 and I have enough for the next several weeks.

-Bigpaws

Reactions: mariane
ET,

Here's been my experience
  • $10-12/ Mo of chemicals. Mostly liquid chlorine I buy in 2.5 gal refillable jugs usually on sale at $8 for 5 gal. MA (the stronger version) at HD $11 for 2 gal.
  • We swim several times per week, year round
  • My pool has been within TFP test result ranges since I started about 6 years ago after I took over from the pool service.
  • I tested a LOT to start. Over a couple weeks got confidence I had this down and backed off to run FC, cc, pH 3 times per week. Others every other month or less.
  • I had a lot of hand-holding from @kimkats to start with since my wife was skeptical of the whole idea and I couldn't screw this up or I'd be on the pool service forever. She and a few others quickly taught me the basics and was there anytime I needed help. As a result I've had a sparkling perfect pool the whole time. Pool is now going on 8 years with the same water and none of the horrific problems my neighbors experienced with their pool services.
  • After 5 years of "jug lugging" I converted to swg plus borate buffer to improve pH control. Also installed new automation and a VS motor to the pump. Always some great experts to help me out. Even had a terrible lightning strike that fried some of the equipment. Did it all myself with TFP having my back.
My guess on costs is that you'll get similar over all consumption of chemicals, perhaps more during summer and less during winter. Most leveraging is to find a way to get bulk liquid chlorine. If you have to buy it in gallon jugs your cost could easily double. What part of Texas are you in?

If I had it to do again I'd switch to swg day 1 and install VS pump motor day one.

I hope this helps.

Chris

expect to pay annually for chlorine and other chemicals
-liquid chlorine-My pool holds more water at 26,500 gals so keep that in mind..........I buy 10 gals of 11% liquid chlorine each time I pick it up. This lasts me just over 2 weeks. I add 6 cups of chlorine each evening most days. It depends on the heat and sun of the day.
-muriatic acid-I buy a 2 pack and it lasts me forever! I would say about two years or so!
-baking soda-I bought a BIG bag when I first got the pool. I still have most of it so...........no worried there.
-CYA powder-ONLY if your test shows you need it. I have to add every once in a while due to our heavy rains here causing me to drain to keep the pool from overflowing.

It seems that some are checking their pools and adding chemicals daily. Is that the norm? The pool service only comes once a week, so I am trying to reconcile that.
-pool service-the put SO much in the pool to push the levels way up in hopes it will last until they come back in a week. This is not good for the pool surface or the people swimming in the pool.
-Pool owner service-shhhhhhhhhh once I got to know my pool's needs for each season I don't bother testing each day....I just average it for the season. Summer means more liquid chlorine than winter does. Rainy season=more pH adjustment and CYA additions.

What tools will I need to purchase
You will need:
- a pole,
-flat net to get stuff off the top
-leaf net (one with a deep bag)
-2 plastic 2cup measuring cups (one for muriatic acid and one for all others).

So does your pool service vacuum the pool each time they are there? Is your pool in a "bird cage"? Does it get much stuff in it?

Vacuum- you can start with a cheap manual set up. If you get tired of doing that you can move to a robot vacuum. I LOVE my robot!!

Does this help?

Kim:kim:

Reactions: mariane
I am in Houston too and have a similar size pool. In the hottest months I pay 40 bucks a month for liquid chlorine at HD (1/2 gal of 10 percent per day). In the winter 1/4 of that and right now one half gallon every other day. I have a salt cell being installed this weekend so no more lugging bleach for me.

Go read pool school and buy the TFT kit. At first you will be testing often, but as you get to know your pool you will test less often, and less tests.

I pay $1 a day for electricity and less than $200 a year for chemicals.
Biggest expense is in replacing the terrible solar covers that seem to only last a season in the hot NC sun.

I found the best and cheapest way is to be proactive and avoid pool stores. If I notice my water is dull I check and 9 out of 10 times my tablet feeder would be empty.
Just installed a SWG and looking forward to a worry free pool season.
Also if you can swing it get a robot, makes pool maintenance boring which is a good thing ?
Most chain pool stores are there to sell, and rarely are your chemicals perfect so easy to walk out spending $125 for stuff you can get for maybe $20 at the grocery store.

Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.