May 23, 2021
Montreal, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello,

Is polymer sand a good material to put as an expansion joint between the pool deck and the pool coping.
If not what exactly should I have the contracter buy and install. I don't think we have deco-o-seal up in Canada.
Also, does he need to put some kind of foam board in between also.

Thanks for your help. This contractor already screwed up the job once so now that he is fixing it I feel like I really need to oversee to make sure it is done right.

Andrea

You need a Polysulfide Joint Sealant, someone/company can get it up there, might take some searching.. :)

these guys sell in canada...

Sikaflex®-1a A one-component, all-purpose polyurethane construction sealant that accommodates 35 % joint movement, remains permanently elastic and water resistant. Easy to gun, easy to tool, fast tackfree time and primerless adhesion to a wide variety of construction substrates. Excellent for small joints and fillets.

Thanks I'll look into that. Do I also need foam? My old pool had this white piece of board between pool beam and deck, was ugly but did the job. So my question is the joint sealant enough or do I need foam first

Is the foam still there? If the old mastic/caulk was removed and still there I would leave it. If it is more than 1/2” deep you could shove backer rod down there to the depth needed, likely 1/2 deep as it is wide.
I think sand can be used to fill in the joint but double check. A contractor mentioned something about it. I think that is probably the way to go if it’s old work or a repair and the original foam spacer is not present. Sand is cheap and can be swept into the gap. I’d double check that it will not transfer forces from the decks movement but I assumed it gives.

Is the foam still there? If the old mastic/caulk was removed and still there I would leave it. If it is more than 1/2” deep you could shove backer rod down there to the depth needed, likely 1/2 deep as it is wide.
I think sand can be used to fill in the joint but double check. A contractor mentioned something about it. I think that is probably the way to go if it’s old work or a repair and the original foam spacer is not present. Sand is cheap and can be swept into the gap. I’d double check that it will not transfer forces from the decks movement but I assumed it gives.
And to echo another’s comment, polysuflide is what Deck O Seal is and I think the Sika too. I am about to do the self leveling one this morning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.