Expansion Joint at Coping

I am having him cut in an expansion joint between the house and the patio because his crew forgot to install one against the house. Otherwise no, they installed what appears to be 1/2 inch wide by 3/4 deep plastic strips at 8 feet on center but they do not go through to the ground.

My understanding is that there is a break between the coping and the concrete but I can’t be certain as they installed the foam spacer and poured the same day.

Thank you for your input!

I am having him cut in an expansion joint between the house and the patio because his crew forgot to install one against the house. Otherwise no, they installed what appears to be 1/2 inch wide by 3/4 deep plastic strips at 8 feet on center but they do not go through to the ground.

My understanding is that there is a break between the coping and the concrete but I can’t be certain as they installed the foam spacer and poured the same day.

Thank you for your input!
It’s 1500 sq feet of 4” thick concrete. Between the house and the pool is about 20 feet wide. The widest width is approximately 70 feet with both ends stopping at grass.

1/4” expansion joint for 20’ of flat work and a expansion joint at the house should be sufficient .
Confirm with the builder regarding the complete separation between coping and deck. You also can drive a nail into the foam to see if it will go 4” deep without any obstructions.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.