expanding stenner pump rollers

May 11, 2016
Troy IL
Last night I decided to tackle the problem of my Stenner pump not pumping bleach. I didn't replace the tube from last year, I hoped I'd be able to use it a little longer. Looks like I'm learning that no you can't, just replace it every year.

Anyway, so I replaced my tube last night and expanded the rollers back and plugged the thing back in and the rollers weren't rolling. So I popped the cover back off, uncompressed the rollers and looked around. All looked good so I plugged it back in with the rollers not expanded. Turns on and rolls as expected. I went to expand the rolls again and I can't get it to expand. I took the lid snap cover off to use as the key in the back side of the pump. It is not spinning inside, but at the same time I can't expand the rollers and they do move counterclockwise with me as i turn. There is no resistance to get them to snap open.

What am I missing here? How do I get the pump shaft to stay still so I can expand the rollers? Is there some kind of trick to inserting the key in the rear?

My stenner is a 45 series fixed speed pump, model 45MPHP.

bumping this one more time because I really need to get my stenner back in service. My wife is going to have a baby soon and I may need to rely on auto feeding chlorine for a few days.

I've watched every video I can on the topic. They all say just snap it in a clockwise direction. When I do that, the roller spins and does not expand. I can't figure out why.

I guess if no one knows, I'll call Stenner when I get home and can get the serial number off my unit.

They can be a pain to expand sometimes. I had to try a couple of times this year to get them to expand.

There is a proper way to install the key to stop the rotor from turning. IF you download the service manual for them, on page 28 it shows you how to insert the clip to stop the rotor.

I've used a small flat blade screwdriver to hold the fan while expanding the rollers. You have to be careful not to break a fan blade when doing it.

This is driving me nuts. I bought a 10 pack of tubes last year when I needed to replace it last year. So I've done this before. Plus, I got a big print out of instructions on installing it. It says to insert the fan tool and use the cover to turn the roller assembly clockwise until it stops, and then do the snap and rotate motion to expand the rollers. I tried this and it never stops. I even tried using the white plastic fan tool that came with the 10 pack of tubes.

That's odd. When I did mine the inserted latch stopped the motor just as it should.

When you rotate the roller assembly does the motor rotate with it?

Can you see the fan in the motor as it turns? It's beginning to sound like the fan has broken loose from the motor shaft.

My wife ended up having the kid about 7 hours after my last post. So I've been a bit busy since then. Luckily the delivery went super fast and we got to come home quickly, so I've been able to manually add enough liquid chlorine to keep my levels up. But I'd like to get my stenner back in service.

I can see the fan in the motor as it turns. I don't think it has broken from its shaft, rather I think the roller is spinning on the shaft as I try to expand it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've watched video after video on changing the tubes. They all say "just snap clockwise with the tool until you hear a click" but say nothing about what to do if you don't hear a click. If anyone has any they think will help get me out of this rut I'm stuck in, I'd be happy to watch.

I took my tube back out and made sure the head was on the motor good. I pushed down on the rollers to make sure they were seated well, and they were. I tried to snap open the rollers with no tube installed and that works. But when I put the tube back in there I cannot get the thing to snap and expand the rolls onto the tube.

And thanks Kelly! We had a boy this time. Our girl is 3 years old now.

First, thank you all for the congrats. As you can imagine, it has been quite busy around here.

I finally got around to getting my Stenner fixed and I wanted to share here what the problem was in case anyone else runs into the same thing. So, without further ado, I replaced the roller assembly and all is well again. Apparently the hub in the old roller had broken and was preventing the rollers from expanding. I can finally stop pouring bleach in manually again!

Yep. I contacted Stenner support and the broken hub was their guess when I described the problem I was having. Out of any other idea, I ordered a new roller assembly and got it installed, and it worked as expected.

From what I've learned the motor has a D shaft and that roller assembly connects to such that the inner part of the hub doesn't move. If it doesn't expand when you twist clockwise and collaspapse in the other direction, there is probably something wrong with the roller assembly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.