Excuse me while I spend a week in Cardiac ICU

gboulton

Bronze Supporter
Apr 24, 2012
Nashville, TN
So over the weekend, I went to an LPS. Put away your pitchforks, I just needed a couple of mechanical items. (Backwash hose, skimmer lid, that sort of thing).

Around here, choosing an LPS is pretty much like deciding which foot to drop the bowling ball on. One in particular is as useful at testing/monitoring/maintaining water chemistry as any other store, but usually has a decent stock of various opening-weekend bits and pieces, so I went there.

Walked in, girl behind the counter was helping a customer, and looked, for all the world, to be dropping some DPD reagents into a vial.

:confused: Nope. Can't be. I must have been seeing things.

Grab my bits and pieces, head to the counter.

At this point, my world view is restored, as I see "CYA Reducer" on the counter. Ah, good. They are indeed selling magic snake oil like any good LPS should!

I picked it up just out of idle curiosity since, frankly, I didn't even know the stuff existed. Figured I'd get either a blank stare, or a hyped up sales pitch about this miracle of modern pool chemistry.

"Really? CYA Reducer? Never heard of it. How does it work?"

"It doesn't"

Wait...:scratch: Did that LPS employee just give me the straight scoop on something?

"Well..ok..I mean I GUESS it works...if you have 3 weeks to kill and don't mind spending twice what the water would cost you to just drain and refill anyway"

This can't be. I'm getting a REAL ANSWER.

Had a chuckle with the kid behind the counter, paid for my purchases, and headed out. About this time, the wife says "Hey, do you need any testing stuff?"

I'm thinking "Nothing they sell here, that's for sure" and then she points. Sitting next to a wall is a big brand new, shiny rack...with every Taylor kit, reagent, tube, bottle, and tool you can think of! I mean, ALL of em! Well stocked, correctly organized, all documented as to their purpose and use.

:eek::eek::eek:

No kidding...the girl that had been testing customer water earlier (She HAD been using DPD reagents!!) walked over, said "You do your own testing?"

"Yes ma'am, sure do"

"Good! We're starting to encourage that more. It's a great way to know exactly what your pool is doing, and catch problems before they get out of hand. Do you have everything you need to open?"

We wound up talking pool chemistry for 5 minutes. She actually understood shock as a process, CYA relationships, the works!

I was speechless. An LPS just encouraged me to test my own water with accurate supplies, and has everything I need to do so, and even knows how to use them.

First the Preds in the SCF, and now this. It has indeed become very cold down there...

---
PS
No, I haven't mentioned the store. It's a local outfit, one shop only, and didn't want to turn this into a giant ad. If you're in or around Nashville, however, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to tell you who it is. :)

They have carried Taylor test kits and reagents for many years, they even have one private labeled with their name on it. The problem is turnover. It's not a high sales item and tends to sit on the shelves.

As to the store, it's nice that they are saying the things that they are. maybe the Titanic is turning, albeit slowly. I don't know if they have any franchise locations, I thought they were all company stores, so their model for employee pay (employees on commission and managers rated/promoted and given bonuses for sales goals) will support moving to a model more similar to ours.

They have carried Taylor test kits and reagents for many years, they even have one private labeled with their name on it. The problem is turnover. It's not a high sales item and tends to sit on the shelves.

As to the store, it's nice that they are saying the things that they are. maybe the Titanic is turning, albeit slowly. I don't know if they have any franchise locations, I thought they were all company stores, so their model for employee pay (employees on commission and managers rated/promoted and given bonuses for sales goals) will support moving to a model more similar to ours.

I think you may be presuming this is a particular chain/store. it is not. it is a locally owned 1-location shop. And no, I assure you...they have NOT carried Taylor kits and reagents for many years. :)

I think you may be presuming this is a particular chain/store. it is not. it is a locally owned 1-location shop. And no, I assure you...they have NOT carried Taylor kits and reagents for many years. :)
Yea, I was assuming the chain with the same initials......

There are good mom & pop stores out there!

One? LOL!! Ok, you made me Google that we have like 100 around here!

dbtgallery.php

Sounds like you guys a pretty good store there that might be able to help out in a pinch. :goodjob:

Yep, color me surprised! There's a dozen or so pool stores around here, from various levels of "several regional shops" to "hole in a strip mall", and without fail (until now anyway) they'd all been just about what TFP folks would expect. :) Was a pleasant surprise to find out that one's trying to come to the light side!

I gotta be honest...I'm a little conflicted! I rather staunchly reward good business/products with loyalty, and TFTestKits has been AWESOME to me for years. At the same time though, I'm a pretty big "shop local" guy too, and this isn't even a regional chain..just a single family trying to do things right. *heh*

I try to plan and keep ahead of my test kit needs, so will likely continue to use TFT for that aspect of things...nice to be able to zip down the road and grab a reagent in < an hour when/if need to though. :)

One? LOL!! Ok, you made me Google that we have like 100 around here!

dbtgallery.php

!!!

If I saw that map around Nashville, I'd think you'd googled "Waffle House" lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.