Evolution of a Pool in Central Kentucky

The Steel uprights on the sides are shaped like a T. The piece on the bottom under the corrugated steel pressure plates are 2" x 3.25" steel channels that are hollow. I believe the sand is washing down and filling up the inside of the these members. I have the foam inserts installed as shown, but they are only where the bolts go through. The remainder of the pieces are hollow.

Side Frame.jpg

I am interested in what everybody else thinks too, but to me if you throw new sand down and put the pool up, That’s the last time the inside frame pieces will ever see rain water again. They looked to be filling up too. The outside pieces could be plugged with anything but I would recommend anything that won’t hold water. Something like cutting your own styrofoam pieces to fit.

Reactions: kimkats
Well unfortunately I haven't been able to make any progress on the pool because of this ridiculous cold rainy weather so my wife and I took this opportunity to prep the deck for stain. After building the deck a few years ago, I never got around to staining it so It had become pretty disgusting. I did some searching online and bought the Defy oxygenated deck cleaner. It did a fantastic job and was really easy to use. I highly recommend a rotary surface cleaner for the pressure washer, It made the entire process so simple and easy.0510201521_HDRSmall.jpg
0511201747Small.jpg

Now if the forecast will just hold up for this weekend I should be able to finish the pool.

Reactions: JRB100
I just responded to another thread regarding a pool heater and It got me thinking. The new pool came with a Rheem heat pump, but I already have a Hayward H100ID. I plan to sell the heat pump and install the gas heater. Does anyone know of a reason I should do the opposite. The gas heater is 40k or 50k BTU's higher in capacity.

So this past weekend I was able to get the pool installed and filled up. WhoooHooo!!! The weather finally broke on Saturday and it was warm enough to install my liner. After doing a few hours of re-work cleaning up mud that had washed onto the sand and scraping it out of the bottom pool track where walls caved in slightly it was time to put up the wall. Before we unrolled the wall, I triple checked the level of everything and reworked a few of the concrete pavers under the uprights and track that I wasn't happy with. My brother wife and I were able to get the wall up relatively quickly.

0516201046_HDRsmall.jpg

We then focused on the sand bottom making sure it was just right. I then installed the heavy plastic barrier that came with the pool. Now its Liner time!!!

0516201504Small.jpg

The Unibead liner snapped into place pretty easily and using the seams it was not difficult to make sure I had the alignment right with the oval.

0516201818small.jpg

The kids had a ball splashing in the 62 degree water as it was filling. I think I walked 5 miles around and around stretching the liner into place making sure there were no wrinkles. I let the pool fill until bedtime, but I didn't want to leave it unattended overnight as there was only a four to six inches of water so I shut it off. Started filling on Sunday morning again and the kiddos were in and out all day long. I don't know how they could stand it. I wasn't sure if it was deep enough on Sunday evening to go ahead and install the skimmer and return so I decided to wait. I regraded the area where the pool equipment will set and back filled a few inches around the low end to trap the sand in place as they were forecasting rain. Monday morning I woke up and it had filled to the perfect level just below the return line. I shut off the water and went to work as they weren't showing the rain starting until later in the evening. Well, it came early and hasn't stopped. We are currently sitting at 4.6" since yesterday around 5:00pm. Now I get to drain water from the pool so I can install the plumbing. More to come thanks for following along.

0518201930small.jpg

Reactions: Newdude
WAY TO GO DAD!!! I bet the girls slept good after all of that fun!!

I have a bit more work for you to do. That area under the skimmer and return...........it will be prone to water splash out when the girls really get the water rocking. What you need to do it place a couple of large steppers under this area. Think about how far out the water might splash and go beyond that. Place the steppers so they are slightly angled so any what that splashes out will go away from the pool. Do not let the steppers touch the wall though...........right at it but not touching.

Are you hard plumbing it? Make sure to put valves right under the returns and skimmer so you can close them when you need to work on the equipment. Don't forget to put unions on either side of all the equipment.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the tips. I am hard plumbing it and already have valves installed for the skimmer and return as I will be reinstalling mostly what was on the pool when I bought it. What is the purpose of the pavers at that one location. Once I get the pool back filled with soil I will grade the dirt to drain away from the pool. Then my plan is to cover all of the soil with weed control fabric and then the landscaping rock you can see in this picture.

Backyard 9 Small.jpg

I was going to make a path out of flat limestone stepping stones up to the skimmer for maintenance access like this.

Backyard 10 Small.jpg

Is there something more I am missing. I appreciate all advice.

The water WILL splash out of the skimmer due to heavy rain or the girls rocking the water or Dad doing a SUPER cannon ball to splash them. The stepper will protect the area under the skimmer a bit more than just the rocks. You do not want the water to have any chance of washing the sand from under the pool in that area. I also include the return as it is another area that water could come out of if something goes wrong so..................better safe than sorry!

Oh my look at that little darling................makes a Dad's heart swell............she is telling you thank you!!!

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.