Ever see an inground pool without a return jet fitting?

microscopes

Silver Supporter
Jun 1, 2016
Buffalo, NY
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Solaxx (Saltron) Reliant / Purechlor R5
Just bought a new house and the strangest part of this pool (in my opinion) is the lack of a return jet fitting. The pvc pipe literally just ends at the plaster and that’s it. No threads or fitting or anything. Just a hole in the plaster with a pipe shooting water back into the pool.

The pool was built 50-some years ago.

It most likely had a push in eye ball that eventually broke and was never replaced.

PR-EYE.png

In the house I grew up in, there was no return in the pool at all :LOL:

At some point, the ONE return going to the pool started to leak underground and my dad just ran a PVC pipe from the filter, across the concrete to the pool. Some of that redneck ingenuity I guess.

• Haha
Reactions: microscopes
If the returns are installed and cut at an angle, to allow for circulation, it was probably meant to be that way. That's the way my pool was done. If you have good circulation you're fine. If the return comes out perpendicular to the wall, it probably requires an eyeball return to direct circulation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the returns are installed and cut at an angle, to allow for circulation, it was probably meant to be that way. That's the way my pool was done. If you have good circulation you're fine. If the return comes out perpendicular to the wall, it probably requires an eyeball return to direct circulation.

Sorry for the stupid question, but… how do I know if there is good circulation?

Pools returns are designed to create a circular flow of water around the pool. This helps to direct debris floating on top towards the skimmer while keeping water mixed. If the returns are pointing straight out from the wall, there would be no circular flow.

Reactions: microscopes
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.