Evaporation vs. Leak

Aug 9, 2013
Dallas, TX
I am in N. Texas, where we are still having daily temps in the 90s. Pool temp is 80. I filled the pool up to the usual level on Monday morning, and by this evening (Friday), I had lost a little under 3" of water. I did the bucket test, and while both water levels fall, the water level of the pool seems to stay about 0.25" below the level inside of the bucket. Is it likely that this is a leak, or just evaporation due to the unusual high temps?

pf,

If this were my pool, I would assume a water loss of anything more than about 1/4" per day would be a leak..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you, this info helps. I haven't seen anything dripping on the equipment pad. How do you plug the returns?

I have noticed air bubbles coming out of some of the returns when the pump first comes on each morning. They stop appearing after the pump has been running for 15 minutes or so. Could this be an indicator of where a leak may be?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.