Evaporation vs fill water

With an auto cover sand or de is advantageous.
The minimal evaporation with an auto cover benefits from backwashes. The old “Fight pollution with dilution.”
I don't understand your comment. Evaporation only removes water. But fill water generally adds things you really don't want or need. To me, low evaporation and minimal water replacement is a net benefit.

Care to go in to a bit of detail about how pure water evaporating out of the pool and then replaced by impure water is more beneficial than the pure water not evaporating in the first place?

With an auto cover sand or de is advantageous.
The minimal evaporation with an auto cover benefits from backwashes. The old “Fight pollution with dilution.”

Care to go in to a bit of detail about how pure water evaporating out of the pool and then replaced by impure water is more beneficial than the pure water not evaporating in the first place?

@mas985 @Donldson

Note that @PoolguyinCT was originally talking about backwashes and not evaporation.

Replacing contaminated water with better water.

I think he got confused in this post and said evaporation when he meant backwash.

It’s the replenishing of the evaporated water that is beneficial to those using a regimen which leaves particular byproducts behind.

✌️

Last edited:
@ajw22
Note that he very clearly is not. He very specifically said that backwashing is advantageous on pools that are covered because of the "minimal evaporation" they experience. When called on it he said "It’s the replenishing of the evaporated water that is beneficial "

Unless there is a failure in terminology (which given that he talks of water not evaporating in covered pools I do not think there is) then he meant exactly what he said.

Probably time to get this thread back on track to OP's original inquiry. Continuation of the "evaporation" discussion does not advance the OP's question and can best be discussed in The Deep End if someone wants.

Cybertoad, all the three types of filters work just fine. One may be best suited for your particular needs......but not necessarily for everyone's need. Keep learning and asking questions and you'll arrive at a decision that works for you.

I think it is fair to say that most (but not all) of us are not in favor of alternate media in sand filters but you should keep researching and decide for yourself.

Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.