Evaporation in cold or leak

Apr 13, 2017
Little Elm Texas
I will admit, I am hyper sensitive to what is happening with my pool.
I am one of the few who never lost power and was able to keep my pump running and waterfalls running 24/7 since last week.
Pump has been running at 2900 RPMs.

How much evaporation is there really in this temp, with the falls running 24/7.
Tonight I marked my water line and will check it tomorrow.
I know my equipment pad is dry. Other than snow melt, I don't notice an abnormal amount of water around the pool.
Again, this could be paranoia, but I am pretty sure I lost almost an inch in a day. At least I think I did.
I never had ice except on the rock around my falls. Skimmers never froze.

^^^^^ +1. Especially with your cold nights. Has the same affect as a warm pool on a cool fall night. Lots of evaporation. Is it steamy/foggy at times ?

You can determine if it's evaporation or a leak with the bucket test:

The bucket test would only work if the water in the bucket doesn't freeze...

Last edited:
Reactions: setsailsoon
Water temp 20+ degrees above air temperature can give evaporation you are seeing. I would not worry about it until air temperature is above water temperature.

And lots of wind. Think blowing on a hot cup of coffee or soup. Gets lots more steamy, right ? The wind(or you)makes all the little waves which all but doubles the surface area of the coffee/soup/pool. All those little peaks and valleys would stretch much further than the pool if laid flat. The more surface area you have, the more is exposed to the temperature change (delta ? IIRC) and the more evaporates.

Probably all normal but the bucket test will help you sleep better. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just to add a data point for you peace of mind. I ran my waterfall and spillover the whole time. I was losing 1" every 12 hours. It was insane. My spigot froze eventually and I ran a hose from my washer machine water line out the window into the pool. Fun times.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.