Evaporation cover that *doesn't* raise water temps..?

Jan 28, 2014
Buckeye AZ
I've committed to building some pvc frame 4.5x4.5' cover squares we can toss on the pool when not in use. Evaporation is accelerating total pool water replacement due to either fill water with high calcium, or fill water post-softener that increases salt.

The solar covers available to trim down all advertise as solar covers that will increase water temperature. This is NOT what we want all summer in Phoenix. Maybe for the fall, but for now I want sun blockage/evaporation reduction material that can float. Anybody have a source for reasonably priced sheets of such a material? An oblique bubble sheet, or something?

It is the temperature differential between the warm pool water and cooler night air that causes the evaporation. You want to cool your pool water to reduce the evaporation. A pool cooler during the day and then a pool cover on the water only at night would be a bit of daily work but probably help.

You may find some ideas in...

I meant opaque. I’ll need obliques to lift them out of the water.
Yes I’m not sure I am committed or capable of taking them on and off every night and every morning. More likely when there’s a three or four day stretch coming up where nobody’s going to be swimming I will throw them on.

Pretty much anything cover wise that you place on the water surface will retain heat in the water at night - and may slightly increase water temp during the day. But it will stop/slow evaporation.

A properly functioning water softener tied into your pools fill line will not add additional salt to the pool.

Pretty much anything cover wise that you place on the water surface will retain heat in the water at night - and may slightly increase water temp during the day. But it will stop/slow evaporation.

A properly functioning water softener tied into your pools fill line will not add additional salt to the pool.

Well, not salt but sodium, right? Years ago I did a side by side strip test of the pre and post softened water and the strips showed a much higher "salt" level.

Or else it's from years of using liquid chlorine...

From years of using liquid chlorine would be my guess. I was surprised at my salt level when i got a Taylor K-1766salt drop test this spring. I don't use softened water for my autofill -- yet. And strictly a liquid chlorine diet for the last 3.5 years.

Using tabs can push you CYA north of quickly. Some have reported exceeding CYA of 100 over the course of a summer. That will require at least a partial drain to keep it in check.

Here in the desert southwest, a big concern is hard water. Mine averages 225-250 out of the tap. And my entire pool volume evaporates at least one time per year. And since the CH does not evaporate, that means my CH increases about 250 ppm every year. That means I need to drain/refill every 3-4 years. In that same period of time, the salt level might reach 2500-3000 or so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.