Estimate pump flow rate

Josh,

Sorry, I don't know where the spreadsheets went, but I can't think if of a single reason that I would ever need to know the actual flow rate of my pump???

What is it that you are trying to figure out?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Josh,

Sorry, I don't know where the spreadsheets went, but I can't think if of a single reason that I would ever need to know the actual flow rate of my pump???

What is it that you are trying to figure out?

Thanks,

Jim R.
I’m trying to figure out what rpm to run my pump at so that I have between 30-60gpm running through my water heater.

How much higher is it? It usually has to be a large amount to create a problem. But since it is higher, it only forces you to run at a slightly higher rpm.

Probably a few feet. I already adjusted the pressure valve. So I have no idea where the default position is. Would you just do the middle?

For a 1.5 hp superflo is about 1800rpm for 8 hrs reasonable (16x32x5 pool.). The heater starts and stops fine at that rpm.

8 hrs is a bit much unless you are trying to heat the pool. Most pools can get by with 2-4 hours of run time. Really just depends on how much skimming is required.

Normally a pressure switch is only adjusted if the heater is below water level. This is because it might stay on even if the pump is off. However, if you want to have a lower RPM while it is operating, you can adjust the pressure switch counter-clockwise. But I would first find out if the skimmers will work properly at lower RPM (they should). Water should flow over the top of the weir door when running the pump. Once you know the minimum RPM for the skimmers, you can then adjust the pressure switch so the heater works at that RPM.

Awesome that’s really helpful I appreciate it. I am trying to heat it but in the summer I will slow it way down. I didn’t realize that and have been running it longer. If you don’t mind I’ll check back with you if I have any more questions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.